Monday, September 19, 2011

A Modern Day Caleb!


Remember Caleb in the Bible? He was 85 years old in Joshua 13 when Joshua was giving out the land and He asked for the portion that had been promised to him by Moses 45 years earlier. Here is what he said to Joshua in Joshua 13:11-12,

"I am still as strong today as I was in the day that Moses sent me; as my strength was then, so my strength is now...Now then, give me this hill country about which the Lord spoke on that day, for you heard on that day that the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities; perhaps the Lord will be with me, and I will drive them out as the Lord has spoken."

I love that guy! 85 years old and he's ready to step up for the Lord and accept another challenge with full faith in God! The church needs more Caleb's today! This past weekend I got to talk on the phone to a modern day Caleb. His name is Henry Weber and he is pictured above.

I met Henry 7 years ago in Pennsylvania and he is a modern day Caleb. After his morning push-ups, Henry spends much time in prayer for many, many people. And he is still active with Lancaster Bible College in Lancaster, PA and with Grace College and Seminary in Winona Lake, IN. To this day, he is still "stepping up for the Lord" with his life and his resources.

One day, Henry came into my office at my previous church and in tears told me how concerned he was for my health because I had put on some weight. You can bet I took off the weight! That's the kind of respect I have for Henry!

It was great to talk to my dear friend, Henry, on the phone this weekend. It's not every day you meet a modern day Caleb. I hope someday (when I'm old...not that Henry is old) I will be a Caleb! I hope someday I will be a Henry!

2 comments:

Sheri Irish said...

I love it Pastor Scott! Awesome tribute.

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks, Sheri! I wish all of you could meet Henry! He is an amazing man!