Friday, September 09, 2011

Make a Joyful Noise


Many people quote from Psalm 100:1, “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord,” and say, “See, it doesn’t matter if you can sing or not, just make a joyful noise to the Lord!” Actually, the verse isn’t talking about singing at all. It is talking about lifting up a shout to the Lord. It literally reads, “Shout joyfully to the Lord’”! Singing comes later in the chapter when we are told to, “Come before Him with joyful singing.”

Here at Gaylord E-Free Church we have both a traditional service and a contemporary service. Well, I’m not sure what it will sound like, but I have been asked to lead the worship through singing in our traditional service this Sunday morning down in the Chapel! I loved the responses from some of the staff to this news. Our Director of Worship, when he heard the news in our Worship Design Group meeting, simply responded with the one-word question, “Him?” And then when one of the office ladies heard the shocking news, she looked right at me and said, “What? Were they desperate?

Actually, I’m quite excited and looking forward to it. It’s been years since I led singing in church. I would lead worship every Sunday earlier in my ministry. It really is quite simple. There is just one guideline to remember – “Follow the lady playing the piano…she is really the one in charge!” I’m not sure if it will sound like a song or a shout but I can guarantee you this, we will have a “joyfully” good time down in the traditional service this Sunday morning!

This Sunday we will also kick-off a brand new 3-week series through Acts 2:41-47 that we are calling “I Love My Church!” We will see from this passage that the early church didn’t just “Do Church” together…they “Did Life” together!

See you Sunday here at E-Free

No comments: