Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Working One Day a Week - TUESDAY


Yesterday I began to share with you a general look at a typical week in the life of a pastor. We know what pastors do on Sunday but what do we pastors do the rest of the week? Yesterday I shared what a typical Monday is like in my life as Lead Pastor of the E-Free Church in Gaylord, Michigan. But what about Tuesday?

Like on Monday I try to get in the office by 7:30am in order to have some personal time before the schedule kicks in to full gear. My first regular meeting on Tuesday is an 8:00 meeting with our Worship Design Group led by Joshua Rupp, our Director or Worship. This weekly 90-minute meeting is used to evaluate the previous Sunday's worship services so that we can know what went well and we can learn from the things that didn't go as well as we hoped. We then take the majority of the meeting to finalize the logistics for the upcoming Sunday and also look ahead to what we have planned for the Sunday after that.

I use the time after the Worship Design Group meeting to spend about 90 minutes in my office checking email and sending out a weekly update to the Staff, Elder Board and Leadership Team detailing all of the aspects of the services for the upcoming Sunday so everyone is on the same page as we move toward another Sunday at E-Free.

Tuesday morning ends with my weekly one-on-one time with Matt Jenkins, our K-8 grade director here at E-Free. I meet with each of our Ministry Staff one-on-one each week. This is primarily their time to share with me anything on their mind or heart. I also use this time to speak with them about pertinent areas to their ministry as well. After lunch on Tuesday, I then have my weekly one-on-one time with Debbie, our Office/Financial manager.

Like on Monday, the majority of the afternoon time for Tuesday is spent in study. The afternoon then ends with a 4:00 meeting with church leadership. Every other week at this time I (as leader of our Staff) meet with our Elder Chairman (who leads our Elder Board) and our Church Chairman (who leads our Leadership Team) for about 90 minutes. These three groups (Staff, Elder Board and Leadership Team) are like a three-legged stool that give our ministry a solid foundation. We use this time to make sure that all three groups are on the same page as we move forward. On the Tuesdays the three of us do not meet, I still meet just with our Elder Chairman. This allows me to share with him on a more personal level the thoughts that are on my heart.

No comments: