Monday, August 29, 2011

90 + B > 100 - B


Math was never my favorite or best course in school. I just could never figure out what numbers had to do with math! Can't we just keep it at numbers only? But here is a spiritual math formula for you to consider...and it involves letters:

90 + B is greater than 100 - B

The formula deals with stewardship. We saw Sunday that there are 3 ways you can handle your money:

You can HURL it like the prodigal son did in Luke 15!

You can HOARD it like the foolish miser did in Luke 12!

You can HONOR God with it like we are taught in Proverbs 3:9-10 which says to "Honor the Lord from your wealth and from the first of all your produce."

If you don't understand the formula above, then when you think about giving 10% of your income to God through the local church your mind immediately goes to this formula:

90 is less than 100

You go, "Wait a minute! If I tithe 10% I only have 90% left. If I don't tithe 10% I have 100% left. 90% is less than 100% and I need that money so I won't tithe."

But you forget that God has promised to bless those stewards who faithfully tithe. Just read Malachi 3 and you will see what I mean. That brings me back to the original formula:

90 + B is greater than 100 - B

Yes, 90% is less than 100% but this formula says that 90% with God's Blessing (thus the letter "B" in the formula) is greater than 100% without God's Blessing! Seriously, what would you rather live on, 90% with God's Blessing or 100% without God's Blessing? So what formula describes your attitude toward stewardship?

90 is less than 100

or

90 + B is greater than 100 - B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

Thank you for this timely piece. We moved to China just a few weeks before you came to E-Free. We have always tithed but have found ourselves lax over here. Funny how when God begins to work on you about something you start seeing His reminders to deal with it everywhere you turn.

Thanks!

Pastor Scott said...

Praise the Lord! Blessings to you in China. Thank you for reading and commenting. Your words have greatly encouraged me.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love your math equation. I have said 90 is greater than 100...but you took this to another level!!

Consider this STOLEN...


J

Pastor Scott said...

Steal away, my friend! I sure did!