Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Father's Lap


I remember reading one time about a story from the days of the JFK administration. It was the first time in many years that young children roamed the halls of the White House. The story goes that one day JFK was meeting in the Oval Office with his Joint Chiefs of Staff - the most powerful military minds in the world. You will remember that these were tense times in our country with the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs.

As they were meeting, little John-John came running down the halls of the West Wing. He ran past armed security guards. He ran past Secret Service Agents. He ran right into the Oval Office and jumped into the lap of the President of the United States. And when he did, JFK turned away from these great military leaders and focused his attention on little John-John.

Now, I have a question. Why could John-John get away with that but Scott-Scott couldn't? The answer is simple. John-John was a child of the President of the United States. Scott-Scott is not. However, I have an even more significant identity. Because I have put my faith fully and solely in the death and resurrection of Jesus for the forgiveness of my sin and my eternal life in heaven, I am a child of God (John 1:1, 1 John 3:1). Do you know what that means? That means that anytime I want, according to the book of Hebrews, I can run down the portals of heaven through prayer. I can run past angelic honor guard and saints alike, and I can run right into the throne room of God and leap into the lap of my Heavenly Father and He will focus His attention on me.

So if you are a believer in Jesus, let me ask you something. When was the last time you leaped into your Heavenly Father's lap and talked with Him. When was the last time you leaped into your Heavenly Father's lap and sang to Him? When was the last time you leaped into your Heavenly Father's lap and laughed with Him? When was the last time you leaped into your Heavenly Father's lap and cried with Him? When was the last time you leaped into your Heavenly Father's lap and just sat there still - knowing that He was your God?


Be sure to read my other blog entitled "Hope For Hurting Pastors" at www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com. You can leave a comment at either blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com.

No comments: