Thursday, August 19, 2010

Two Offices

While we were down at Liberty dropping off our daughter last week, Laura and I did something we had never done before. We took a tour of the Carter Mansion on campus where Dr Falwell kept his office (pictured blurrily above). Part of the tour was being able to go into Dr Falwell's office which has been kept exactly as it was on the day he died (incidentally, Dr Falwell died in his office).

Call me morbid but I found it more than interesting to stand in what was the office of one of my greatest spiritual heroes and just look around - to look at what pictures where on his walls; what books were on his desk; what items were on his shelves. I could have spent a lot of time in that office just looking.

I did this one other time with another man from Virginia - Robert E Lee. After the war, Lee became the President of William and Mary College in Lexington, VA. On that campus you can go into his former office from so many years ago. It too has been kept to this day exactly the way it was on the day that he had a stroke and died.

You can learn a lot about a man by looking around his office. So if I died today (not planning on it but if I did) and you came into my office and took a look around at exactly how I left it, I wonder what you would learn about me?

By the way, the lights in Dr Falwell's office are kept on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as a symbol and reminder that his dream continues.

2 comments:

RubyRed said...

Scott, are you interested in attending our Homecoming reunion for the LU marching band? I see you're in Lynchburg every now and then. :)
We're planning a dinner after the game, plus other fun events. October 9, 2010. Please contact me. I'm Diane Sullivan, LU '86.

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks for the invite, Diane! I will not be able to take part due to the fact that I will be gone for two weeks in october in Israel! Blessings to you!