Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Hardest Day Of My Life




Last Thursday was the hardest day of my life so far. On that afternoon, we said good-bye to both of our kids down on the campus of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia and headed home to an empty house realizing that the dynamics of our home would never be the same and that the first phase of empty nest was now upon us. I knew that this would be difficult but I had no idea just how difficult it would be. For 22 years so much of our lives have revolved around our kids and their schedules and activities. Now we begin the process of "parenting from a distance." I'm not sure I like this but I know that it is part of God's plan for families and for people and that God is not done with us yet as parents.

As much as last Thursday hurt deeply to say good-bye to the kids and leave them at college, my hurting heart was also filled with an overwhelming peace. It was so obvious that our kids were in the right place. I honestly could not want them anywhere else than at Liberty. It really is a special place and for Laura and I, who are both alumni of Liberty, that brought us an even greater peace. We both know how Liberty impacted our lives and it is a far more amazing place today. I am sure that God will use it in Joy and Jonathan's lives as well.

I am thrilled with how God is working in both of our kids lives. Joy, as an education major, wants to work with middle school age kids in an under-privileged setting. She is also a Resident Assistant at Liberty and it is a "joy" (pun intended) to watch her lead and impact the girls in her building.

Jonathan is a Worship Arts Major. He has a love for music, leading people in worship and is a very talented song-writer. Liberty has an amazing Worship Arts Program and I can't wait to see what God has in store for him as he looks to spend his life leading people in worship.

"Thanks, Lord, for my kids. I sure do miss them. Thanks also for my wonderful wife who I now get to spend even more time with. Thanks for the times that hurt. And thanks for the peace that You give even during the times of hurt."

2 comments:

Andy Jewett said...

I'm sorry of course that this part of your life is colored by the sadness of Joy and Jon's absence in the home, but I'm so excited for you and Laura in this new season of life, how God will use it and how your ministry will be effected by it. I have recently had a small taste of it with Lucy and Jack beginning school but I seem to remember a certain preacher talking about the need to hold those that we love with an open hand. I love you, Scott.

Pastor Scott said...

You gotta be careful listening to those "certain preachers!" Seriously, Andy, your interest in our lives, even from a distance, and your prayers for us mean the world to us. We love anbd miss you and your family! Blessings, brother!