Thursday, January 06, 2011

Two Very Different Events


As I get ready to go to bed after rapping up a very busy Wednesday, not only is my body tired, but so is my mind. Two things have dominated my mind over the last 24 hours:

Tuesday night I rode the emotional roller coaster of watching my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes finally knock off an SEC team when they hung on to beat Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. I was riding high through the whole first half as the Buckeyes dominated. Then, in contrast, I had the proverbial knot forming in the pit of my stomach as Arkansas clawed their way back into the game in the second half. I hit rock bottom when the Buckeyes fumbled late in the 4th quarter on a 4th and 1 play and the knot in my stomach tightened greatly when the Bucks punt was blocked in their own end of the field with only a minute left to play. What a relief it was to see the defense come through with the big interception at the end that sealed a very big victory. The problem is that I was so keyed up afterwards that I couldn't get to sleep.

Wednesday night Laura and I spent time with a family that just lost a loved one tragically. My heart goes out to this family but what a privilege it was for my wife and I to go to their home and share with them and pray with them. It never ceases to amaze me how when you go over to encourage someone else, you often come away having been encouraged yourself. And though we couldn't give this family answers as to why this tragic event happened, we were able to remind them that God is too loving to do anything cruel and to wise too make a mistake.

Two events - each so very different in scope. One was just a game - the other a great heartache. One was temporal - the other eternal. Life is funny that way, isn't it? It is often dominated by events that can be very different in scope. What event will dominate my life tomorrow? Will it be a game or a heartache? Either way, as I go to bed tonight I do so knowing that I serve a God who never slumbers or sleeps. And though I have no idea what event will dominate my tomorrow I do know that tomorrow will be a day dominated by the Lord. Tomorrow will be a day that the Lord has made - so I will go to bed tonight and wake up tomorrow rejoicing and being glad for the day that lies just ahead of me.


Be sure to read my other blog entitled "Hope For Hurting Pastors" at www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com or email me at skdistler@gmail.com

No comments: