Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pass The Fruit, Please!


I've never been a big "fruit" eater, with the exception of some chunky style applesauce or fruit that you find inbetween pie crusts. I don't usually find myself grabbing for an orange or an apple. But I had the wonderful opportunity to sit down in a local diner over the weekend with a good friend from my college days that increased my taste for fruit. We have been in touch a lot over the past year and this weekend he happened to be in the Lancaster area so we met for coffee.

We both have been in full-time ministry for nearly 25 years now and both of us have experienced serious ministry challenges over the past year. It was so good to be able to sit down "face-to-face" and share in detail with each other our individual stories of the past year and lessons we have learned. We also had the chance to share with each other exciting opportunities that God appears to be opening up for both of us that continue to fan the passionate flame we both have to be used by God within the local church.

But it was even more exciting to discuss together the truths from John 15:1-2 in which Jesus says,

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vine-dresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit."

According to Jesus, what does God do to branches that bear fruit? He prunes them! Does that hurt? Sure it does! But why does He prune them? So that they will bear even more fruit!
As we shared our stories from the past year with each other and the exciting opportunities that lie just ahead of each of us, it was exciting to realize that the adversity we have both faced, though painful as it has been, certainly has a Divine purpose. God's pruning always has a purpose and that purpose is always so that we can bear even more fruit in the future than we have ever produce in the past.

Though my appetite for physical fruit didn't change due to our conversation and fellowship together in that diner over the weekend, my passion for spiritual fruit grew immensely! So, pass the fruit, pleas!


Be sure to read my other blog entitled "Hope For Hurting Pastors" at www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com or email me at skdistler@gmail.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Todd & I love & miss you and Laura so much. We pray for you often, still wishing God would bring you back home to us!

Pastor Scott said...

You don't know how much that means to Laura and I, Kim! We both sure loved getting your email. I will email you back soon.