Monday, June 08, 2009

Summer 2009...PERSONAL Highlights


School is now out and summer has begun. I am really looking forward to this summer for one main reason…I am not going to spend it traveling. In past years, half of my summer was spent away from home. Last summer I had to travel to Florida, Colorado, Ohio, California and Virginia. Due to being on the road so much, summer flew by before I ever got a chance to enjoy any of it. So this year I am taking no major trips, nor am I attending any conferences. Instead, I am going to enjoy summer right here around Lancaster County. Here are some of the personal and family highlights that I am looking forward to this summer:

June 12-13: Laura and I will be taking our son Jonathan to Columbus, Ohio to drop him off for a summer on Operation Barnabas, a summer ministry training experience for teenagers. We will be able to have dinner and spend the evening with a couple who were our very best friends when we lived in Ohio during the first 9 years of our marriage when I was on staff at Community Church in West Milton, Ohio.

July 2: Laura and I, along with out daughter, Joy, will be attending the musical, Les Miserables, at the Fulton Theater in Lancaster. It’s not Broadway, but this is a show Joy has always wanted to see.

July 15-22: Laura and Joy will be spending this week out in Colorado with Laura’s family giving me a week with just the dog and cat.

July 29-30: We will be heading back out to Columbus, Ohio to pick Jonathan up as Operation Barnabas comes to an end.

August 1: Laura and I will be going with friends to a musical at the Sunoco Theater in Harrisburg to see the comedy, Church Basement Ladies. Remember, William Christopher, the priest (Father Mulcahy)on the television sitcom, MASH? He stars in this show. I am a huge MASH fan so I am looking forward to enjoying this play.

August 5: Our whole family will be heading to Citizens Bank Park to watch the Phillies take on the Colorado Rockies. Since my wife is from Colorado, I’ll probably have to protect her from all the insane Philadelphia fans as she roots for the Rockies.
August 6-8: We will be spending a few days with friends at Ocean City, NJ.


August 14-16: Laura and I will be taking our daughter, Joy, back to Lynchburg, Virginia for the start of her Sophomore year as an education major and Spiritual Life Director for her floor at Liberty University. I always get excited whenever I have the opportunity to visit my Alma Matter.

September 11: Laura and I will be going with friends to the New Yankee Stadium in New York to see the Yankees play the Baltimore Orioles. Being that this game is on 9/11 in New York City, there ought to be some really meaningful pre-game ceremonies.

No comments: