Monday, June 15, 2009

An Hour With God - Part One


On the first Tuesday of each month we have a staff meeting in which I speak to our full church staff including the administrative team of our Educational Ministries (nearly 30 of us total). I usually take this time to dig deep into a specific passage of Scripture with our staff and bring it to an applicable conclusion for our team as individuals and as a whole.

This month I did something different. This month I put together a 7-part guide that would allow our staff to spend an hour alone with God. I then sent our staff to find a place somewhere on our campus where they could spend one hour of interrupted time alone with God. The feedback has been tremendous.

So, how would you like to use the same guide over this week of your life? Beginning today and covering the next 4 days, I will give you a part or two of the guide I gave to them. You may not do it all in a one hour time slot, but you could take 15 minutes each day for the next 4 days. Below is part one:

Part 1 – Approaching His Throne of Holiness with Repentance

1 John 1:9 is written below from four different translations. Read each one out loud:

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” [New American Standard]

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” [New International Version]

“But if we confess our sons to God, He can always be trusted to forgive us and take our sins away.” [Contemporary English Version]

“If we (freely) admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins (dismiss our lawlessness) and continuously cleanse us form all unrighteousness – everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought and action.) [Amplified Bible]

Take time right now to answer the following questions to God in prayer?

Do I have any unconfessed sin or doubtful practices in my life?

Are there any obstacles keeping me from greater intimacy with God?

Have I been following the leadership of the Holy Spirit as He guides me?

Based on your answers, ask God for genuine life change and cleansing.

No comments: