Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Some Days Are Just Better Than Others


Have you ever had “one of those days”? To be honest, most days are probably somewhat similar…nothing extraordinary occurrs but nothing horrible happens either. I remember hearing Dr Falwell say, “If you have a good day, expect the next two to be bad.” Sometimes, that is just how life works, isn’t it?

But then there are some days that are simply better than most others. Today has potential to be one of those days for me. Why? Because today I have scheduled a morning event, afternoon event, and an evening event that doesn’t usually occur for me on a typical day. Here are the three major events on my itinerary for today:

My day is scheduled to start this morning (weather permitting) by meeting a friend who attends our church for breakfast. Now what is special about that? Well, breakfast with friends are always good but this one will also be unique. We aren’t driving to breakfast. We are flying to breakfast. I have had the good fortune of going up with this person in his plane on a couple of occasions and really caught the passion of flying. There is just something about being up in the cockpit of a small plane hovering over beautiful Lancaster County that makes for a great way to start a day. This is not the normal way I start a day so I think this day has the possibility of just flat being better than most days.

In the afternoon I will then be heading down to Franklin and Marshall College where Presidential Candidate, John McCain along with Vice Presidential candidate, Sarah Palin, will be speaking at a campaign rally. I have been asked to give the invocation for the event. How cool is that? Again, this is not normal for me. Add this to the morning flight for breakfast and this has the real potential of simply being a better day than most. By the way, Senator Obama was in town last week and spoke to an estimated crowd of 15,000. For the record, the only reason I did not offer the invocation at that event is simple…I wasn’t asked too.

After the McCain event, the best part of my day still lies ahead. My son, Jonathan (pictured), plays on our varsity soccer team here at Lititz Christian School and they have an evening game under the lights at Conestoga Christian School. For me, there is nothing in life I enjoy more than watching my kids play sports. So, yes, flying to breakfast in the morning will be awesome. And yes, offering the invocation in front of thousands at the McCain rally in the afternoon will be a thrill. But both of these events pale in comparison to watching my son play soccer.

So, as you can see, today has the potential of simply being better than most days. But when you think about it, every day should have that feel to it. After all, every day is a day that the Lord has made, so no matter what is on the schedule, be it good or bad, we should rejoice in it. But for a Tuesday, this day still could end up being better than most days. We’ll have to wait and see. But flying to breakfast, praying at the John McCain rally, and watching my son play soccer under the lights…now that is a good day!
Added note: The flight to breakfast this morning got pushed back to Wednesday due to weather...but this is sitll a pretty good day!!

No comments: