Thursday, June 07, 2007

PASTORS are PEOPLE too




I’ll never forget the time that one of my daughter’s friends was riding with us somewhere when Joy was much younger. As we drove along, the soda (or pop as we called it back in the Midwest) I was drinking resulted in my letting out a loud belch. This friend of Joy’s, whose family attended our church, was amazed. She busted out laughing and said, “I didn’t know pastors burped!”

Listen, folks, pastors do belch (now if that really bothers you I could also dialogue about other bodily noises pastors really do make but I’ll spare you those details). It never ceases to amaze me to hear what some people believe about their pastors. Some would even lay odds on the fact that we mow our lawns while wearing a suit and tie. Hey, come on, I don’t even preach wearing a suit and tie every Sunday.

At the risk of knocking myself right off your pedestal, I think you should know that I am a pastor but I am still a person just like you. I think some people must really believe that we pastors sit around all day long doing nothing but reading our Bibles and then spend the entire night in deep, solemn prayer. Contrary to what might be popular opinion, we pastors like many of the same things you like…at least this pastor does. I love sports, watching television, listening to talk radio and I even enjoy going to the movie theater where I always get the large butter popcorn and a diet soda. Recently my family and I went down to the Penn Cinema to see Shrek III and Pirates of the Caribbean III.

We pastors also have many of the same weaknesses as the average layperson as well. I get ticked when my kids don’t put the remote control back where it belongs. Bad words go through my mind when I stub my toe and can even fly out of my mouth when my team loses the big game. I can even be found driving over the speed limit, especially in 35 mile per hour zones. Actually I have a whole lot more weaknesses and fallacies than just these, but I think you get the idea. And believe it or not, I am not the perfect father and husband. If you need proof of that, just interview my wife and kids.

Sometimes I think that people forget that we pastors are not “Super Christians.” We are people…just like you. The only difference is that we have a calling on our life that comes straight from the Lord. This is a calling that causes us to realize that with our position of leadership comes great responsibility. As a result, we strive to be the best man of God that we can possibly be.

Unfortunately, the only time most of my church sees me is on Sunday morning when I’m at my best and look my best (okay, that’s debatable) as I declare the truth of God’s Word, or as I stand before a bride and groom in my best suit and tie officiating their marriage. As a result, many of those in my congregation don’t really know the real me. Some may even have a very warped and unrealistic view of who I am. The truth is that as a pastor, I’m a whole lot like each you. I laugh. I cry. I sweat. I bleed. I like to have fun. I struggle. I get my feelings hurt. I make mistakes. Yes, I even belch…sometimes real loud.

No comments: