Friday, April 27, 2007

So God Heard


As I continue reading through Exodus, I am greatly encouraged as I get to the final verses of chapter two. Israel is now in a state of slavery. They are being worked to the bone. The description of their turmoil is nothing short of agonizing. Take a look:

“So they appointed taskmasters…to afflict them with hard labor!” (Exodus 1:11)

“But the more they afflicted them the more they multiplied.” (Exodus 1:12)

“The Egyptians compelled the sons of Israel to labor rigorously.” (Exodus 1:13)

“And they made their lives bitter with hard labor…which they rigorously imposed on them.” (Exodus 1:14)

Doesn’t it hurt just reading those verses? And as a result of this horrible agony of slavery, the Hebrews, according to Exodus 2:23, “sighed” and “cried out” to God for help. Wouldn’t you? In fact, I bet you have. Think back to a time in your life when you were in agony whether it was physical, emotional, marital, financial, relational, occupational, spiritual, or whatever. And what did you do? You sighed and you cried out to God for help. But does that really accomplish anything? Exodus 2:24-25 says,

“So God heard their groaning; and God remembered His covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. God saw the sons of Israel and God took notice of them.”

Now check out the verbs describing the actions of God:

God HEARD

God REMEMBERED

God SAW

God TOOK NOTICE

How cool is that? When I am in agony and “sigh” and “call out” to God what will He do:

He will HEAR me!

He will REMEMBER His promises to me!

He will SEE me in my agony!

He will TAKE NOTICE and minister to me!

No comments: