Saturday, October 15, 2011

My Favorite Trophy



Some people have major amounts of trophies. You can go into an athlete’s house and find dozens upon dozens of trophies and game balls. And that athlete can tell you a specific story behind each one of them. You can go into the home or trophy room of a hunter and see all kinds of animals and heads mounted in all sorts of forms and positions. That hunter can walk you through that room and tell you amazing stories behind each and every animal trophy and mounted head. That is the purpose of trophies. That’s why we keep them. They are physical reminders of great victories and accomplishments in our past.

To be honest, I was never a person who acquired a lot of trophies. I did get a trophy once for the “Most Original Car” in a pine wood derby. The only problem was that the award for “Most Original Car” was given to the only car that never made it to the end of the track. It was their way of making sure that nobody felt like a loser (I’m not real sure that philosophy actually worked but oh, well!). I also have a few trophies from my stint in Little League Baseball. Again, don’t get too excited. Every kid who played Little League got a trophy. The truth is that I was only ever to achieve a .032 lifetime batting average.

But there is one trophy that I received back when I was in the “Webelos” portion of the Cub Scouts. When I tell you what it was for it will blow you away. This Sunday I will be bringing that special trophy of mine to church with me and telling you its story. You will find out how I achieved it and why it is the most special trophy I own. Hopefully, it will help you to understand the next room we will be exploring in our “Mansion of Prayer” message series.

We have already seen “The Foyer: Place of Confession” and “The Throne Room: Place of Adoration.” This Sunday we move on to “The Trophy Room: Place of Thanksgiving.” Together as we explore this room we will see the components of Thanksgiving. And from Psalm 100 we will identify 6 ways that we can give thanks to God for what He has done in our lives. And, as we are doing with each room of the Mansion, I will end the message this Sunday by giving you a key to help you better open up this room in a practical way that I believe God can and will use to add energy to your prayer life!

See you this Sunday at the Gaylord E-Free Church!

No comments: