Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Whale Vomit


The are two types of people when it comes to "throwing up." First, there is the "Get it over with" type of person. This is the person who, once they begin to feel sick to their stomach, will just go throw up and get it over with. I am not one of those kind of people. I am the other type of person - the "fight it to the death" type of person. When it comes to feeling sick to my stomach, I will fight "throwing up" as long as I possibly can in hopes that the bug will get tired of the fight and just leave me alone.

As a result, when the bug finally wins, it's violent. Seriously, you almost need to bring in the "hazardous materials" crew to clean up when I am gone. And you know what really amazes me when I'm sick? I can't believe how much liquid can finally come out of a 5-foot, 8-inch tall, 120 pound (OK, 220 pound...OK, 230 pound) man! Yikes!

Now why do I blog on such a gross topic? I do so because, as we saw last Sunday morning as we continued through the book of Jonah here at the E-Free Church in Gaylord, Michigan, after Jonah repents, God commands this really big fish that had swallowed Jonah to vomit him up on dry ground. Now if this fish were something like a Sulphur Bottom Blue Whale, it would have been some 100 feet long with a 12 foot wide mouth and it would have had 4 to 6 stomach compartments. Now if I am amazed at how much vomit comes out of me when I get sick, just imagine how much whale vomit would have come out of that giant fish!! Tsunami!!!!! So what's my point? My point is simply this:

Repentance, though always necessary, isn't always neat and easy. In fact, sometimes it's downright messy. But even so, it's still the best thing for us!

By the way, the picture above is an actual picture of one "chunk" that comes out in "whale vomit." Believe it or not, it is very valuable because some companies use it in the manufacturing of guess what? PERFUME! I'm not kidding!! Hey, what's that scent you're wearing?

4 comments:

Rick Glass said...

Great quote on repentance...good reminder.
Miss you bro!!

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks, Rick! Sure wish we could have breakfast! Love ya, bro!

Craig said...

You crack me up! Well, I know now we have something else in common. Haha! Really miss your sermons (in person). Thankful for your blog!

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks, Craig! Blessings to you and your family!