Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Trusting in the Storm

God uses storms in our life to test and solidify our faith. That was one of the principles we saw last Sunday morning here at E-Free in Gaylord, MI as we looked at the story of Jesus calming the storm as part of our message series, "Summer on the Lake." I saw this principle "fleshed out" in my Grandpa's life.

My Grandpa Distler was a pastor for some 50 years, leading churches in New York, Ohio, Illinois and in Fenton, Michigan. He ended his life as a Superintendent of a Rescue Mission in Salinas, CA. Grandpa died of cancer many years back and I had the privilege of preaching his funeral when he was buried in the cemetery behind the church he pastored in Sutter, Illinois.

The last time I had the opportunity to be with my Grandpa was at his home in California just a few weeks before he died (the above picture was taken of my Grandpa just a few days prior to his going to heaven). Grandpa wanted me to have some idea of what he was going through in the storm he was enduring. He took my hand and put it under his pajama top and led my hand from tumor to tumor. I asked him, "Do they hurt, Grandpa?" He replied, "Oh, yes...they hurt."

He then said this to me. I will never forget it. He said, "Scott, for 50 years I have preached Proverbs 3:5-6." He then quoted it:

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

He then finished, "For 50 years I have preached that passage, but for the first time in my life I know what it really means."

Storms do that. They solidify our faith. They teach us how to trust the Lord. So if you are facing a storm in your life, then set your sights on Proverbs 3:5-6.

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

No comments: