Friday, April 15, 2011

A Whole Lot To Be Excited About


As I wrap up the work week and get ready to head into the weekend, there are just so many things that have me pumped when it comes to what God is doing in my life and in the ministry here at the Gaylord Evangelical Free Church (GEFC)! For example:


This past Tuesday I got to experience the Food Truck Ministry here at GEFC. Each month a semi truck filled from front to back and top to bottom with all kinds of foods arrives at our church and the gymnasium becomes a grocery store. Literally hundreds of people from the county, most of whom have really been struggling with the recession and the hurting Michigan economy, are able to come and take home a grocery cart of food free of charge. As I watch GEFC care for the people of this community I can't help but borrow the phrase I often hear my good friend, Rick Glass, say...I LOVE MY CHURCH!


I was able to do my radio program again this past Wednesday on Eagle 101.5. What a thrill it is to be able to sit across from Mike, the DJ, and discuss what Easter is all about and to be able to explain how Good Friday and Easter are the two elements of the Good News of the Gospel - and to do so live on the air. Mike asked me to come up with a theme song to end my show with each week. Since it is a "classics" station I chose the old Billy Withers song, "Lean On Me!"


Today Laura and I close on and get occupancy of our new house. We are very excited about where God has place us and believe He has some Divine reasons for us being in the Dixon Lake Estates area of Gaylord. This weekend we clean and paint like mad because our furniture arrives from Pennsylvania at 7am Monday!


Saturday is the Higher Call Men's Conference here at GEFC. What a great day it is going to be with an amazing line-up of worship artists and speakers. Over 500 men have already registered and with all the walk-ins we will have, we could exceed the 600 mark in attendance. Imagine what could happen as God grabs the heart of over 500 men from Northern Michigan!


Sunday will be another exciting morning of worship at GEFC including several people getting baptized. I love to watch people take steps of faith in their walk with the Lord. Sunday morning I will end our 3-week mini-series we have called "Simon Says" as we look at that small window of time in the life of Simon Peter from right after the Last Supper through his third denial of Jesus. In fact, this Sunday we will also see how the old poem, "Might Casey At The Bat" fits into the message. I will also be swinging a golf club on stage come Sunday morning. That may not seem like much to you but you have to realize that I have never once swung a golf club on a real golf course. I wonder if that will change now that I live in Michigan's Golfing Mecca?


And if all of this is not enough to get me excited, Easter is right around the corner. What a service we have planned with the theme, "Have Your Seen Him?" With video, props, drama, music and message all being involved, it is going to be a great morning of celebration! Enjoy Your Weekend! I know I will!


Be sure to read my other blog entitled "Hope For Hurting Pastors" at http://www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com/. You can leave a comment at either blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com

3 comments:

Renee W. said...

I wish I were there. I love that church too!

Pastor Scott said...

You and Dan could always move north - however, we are supposed to get another winter storm starting tonight with up 10 11 more inches of snow!!!!

Renee said...

Brrrrr. We'll stay put. 76 degrees tomorrow.