Thursday, April 07, 2011

Hey - Baseball Started!!


What is undoubtedly one my favorite days of the year has passed and I, for all practical purposes, missed the impact of it. I am talking about the opening day of the Major League Baseball season. I love sports (with the exception of NASCAR which I don't consider a real sport! Sorry, Race Fans!), but to me baseball is the crown jewel of athletics. One thing I gained from my dad was a love for this great American past-time.


But this year, though I caught glimpses of it, I really missed the full impact of this special day of the year when the bunting is hung around Major League stadiums everywhere and we get to hear those two glorious words, "Play Ball!" This year the opening of the baseball season occurred as I was right smack dab in the middle of trying to settle into my new ministry role here at the Gaylord Evangelical Free Church (GEFC) in beautiful Gaylord, Michigan.


We are now a week into the season and I still don't think it has really hit me that it's baseball season. Maybe its because when I look out the window of my office I still see the ground covered with snow and the lake I can see from the dining room window of the home where we are staying until we close on our house is still covered with ice with ice fisherman still conducting their sport. But yet, hundreds of miles from northern Michigan baseball is being played and that does my heart good.


I guess the thing I like most about opening day is that it is that one day a year when every baseball fan, no matter what team they root for, can have optimism that maybe, just maybe, this might be the year for their team. And for people like me who are die-hard fans of the Cleveland Indians, that day is special because it usually doesn't take too long into the new season before our motto turns to, "Wait until next year!" But for now...GO INDIANS! PLAY BALL!



Be sure to read my other blog, Hope for Hurting Pastors, at www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com. You can leave a comment at either blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com.

6 comments:

Linda Goodale said...

We are going to have to sit down and have a heart to heart chat about the love you could have for NASCAR! What the ratio is of Christian drivers versus drug enhancing baseball players that are professing Christians. There will be a Saturday night where you will be invited to watch some dirt racing. I enjoy baseball too, but racing makes your heart race. We need to talk!

Pastor Scott said...

Sorry, Linda. Over the years many people have tried to instill a love for NASCAR in me but I still have not been able to sit down and watch more than about 5 minutes of cars turning left. I am told, however, that if I ever went to a real race I would be hooked. Not sure!

Unknown said...

While I sit here in my Condo in Gulf Shores Alabama, preparing to baste in the sun, watching sports center with my adorable handsome husband, relishing in the fact that the Reds are 5-0, I'm feeling so incredibly blessed! Sorry about your snow & ice, we'll be visiting soon! (hoping snow will be gone in a couple of weeks)

Pastor Scott said...

Adorable handsome husband? Did you get remarried? Just kidding. Love ya both... Even Todd!

Unknown said...

Hmmmm...Almost 2 weeks in and the Tribe is in first place in the division. I'm sure I have told you, but I have been to quite a few and Jacobs Field is my fav...love the big screen there. Have a great Sunday Pastor Scott. We listen to you at some point every week. Al and Janelle.

Pastor Scott said...

I love Jacob's Field as well, Alan. It's exciting to see my indians in first place. It will be more exciting if they are still there come October.