Wednesday, April 06, 2011

May I Wash Your Feet?


Monday night was my first Elder Meeting with the Elder Board here at the Gaylord Evangelical Free Church (GEFC). I wanted to begin my relationship with these men in a very special way so I asked if I could have the first 30 minutes of the meeting to accomplish this. We sat in a semi-circle and I read the passage from John 13 where Jesus washes the feet of the disciples as part of His last supper with them.


Over the past 24 years of being a pastor in the Grace Brethren Fellowship, foot-washing became a special part of my worship. We would participate as a church in washing each other's feet several times a year as part of our communion service. Obviously, foot-washing was a cultural element in Jesus' day, but not the way Jesus did it that night spoken about in John 13. What He did was beyond culture which was evident by the disciples confusion. Some would suggest that by washing the disciples' feet, Jesus was simply teaching the need for servanthood. There is no doubt that servanthood was part of Jesus' actions, but I it wasn't the main teaching. It seems obvious to me from the passage that the main picture of what Jesus did was one of "spiritual cleansing."


I shared with these men how when I first got introduced to foot-washing it really freaked me out. I thought the worst part would be having to wash another person's feet. But what I found was that washing another person's feet was really no problem at all. The part that was really difficult was allowing them to wash mine. That's why before I went to communion I would always wash my own feet first and clip my toenails so as not to be embarrassed. But yet, every time I choose to sin, I have a Savior who is willing to wash my spiritual feet. His death on the cross brings me daily cleansing. That is the picture of foot-washing.


After I explained that Monday night at Elder meeting, I asked these men if they would give me the privilege of washing each of their feet. It was a symbolic way for me to be a picture to each one of them of the wonderful Savior we have who daily cleanses us from our sin. It also allowed me to physically demonstrate my commitment to submit to them as spiritual leaders in my life and to communicate my commitment to be a servant leader to them as an Elder Board and to the entire church family here at GEFC. For most of those men, it was first time someone else had ever washed their feet. I hope it was as meaningful to them as it was to me. I look forward to many years of partnering with these men for the cause of Christ!


Be sure to read my other blog entitled, "Hope for Hurting Pastors," at www.hurtingpastor.blogspot.com. You can leave a comment at either blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com.

4 comments:

Glen said...

It was meaningful... very meaningful; Thank you for humbling yourself and giving a new meaning to John 13.

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks again, Glen, for allowing me that special privilege. I look forward to our time together Thursday afternoon.

Unknown said...

Wow! I was raised Brethren and Patty and I were married in the church I grew up in, The First Church of the Brethren. I am familiar with the tradition of feet washing, as we celebrated 'Love Feast' once a quarter. It is a beautiful picture of servanthood and very humbling.

We continue to look forward to what God has in store for GEFC.

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks,Eddie. Those like yourself who have experienced footwashing can understand how meaningful it can be. Blessings to you.