Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Pastor...My Mentor



This Sunday is my installation service here at the Gaylord Evangelical Free Church (GEFC) in Gaylord, Michigan. I am thrilled to be able to have my mentor, Steve Peters, with us as part of the program.

I first met Steve after my freshman year of college. My parents had moved from Akron, Ohio to Hagerstown, Maryland and Steve was the youth pastor at the church they were attending there. Shortly after that, Steve became the Senior Pastor at the Community Church in West Milton, OH. He brought me out for the summers after my sophomore and Junior years of college to be his summer intern youth pastor. After graduating from college in 1987, Steve hired me as his full-time youth pastor.

I served under Steve for 9 years in this capacity. I wish every young pastor could have a "first ministry" under someone like Steve. My ministry philosophy was shaped by my time with Steve. He taught me two lessons I still fall back on today. First, he taught me that if I was going to err, be sure to err on the side of grace. Even in the most difficult times of my ministry I have tried to live out that principle. Steve also taught me that I am free to do anything but sin in order to reach people for Jesus. That philosophy still drives me today as my greatest passion is to see as many as possible come to faith in Christ through the local church.

During my 9 years with Steve, the times that meant the most to me were the multiple hours we spent in his office "chewing the fat" as we discussed ministry, life in the church, and what it means to be pastor. To this day there are times I wish I could just go sit in his office and continue those amazing conversations.

I am thrilled to have Steve, and his wife (Sue), with us this weekend. Steve is my pastor. Every pastor needs a pastor and Steve will always be mine. Steve is also my mentor. To this day he is the one I turn to when I need help or advice. But Steve is also my spiritual hero. If I can be half the pastor to others that he has been to me, I will consider myself successful.

No comments: