Tuesday, November 10, 2009

School Spirit and the Lady Eagles


The Lady Eagles Varsity Volleyball team of Lititz Christian School (a ministry of Grace Church) had quite the season accomplishing more in one season than any previous team before them in school history. I was not able to attend their first round District Playoff game last Thursday against Hanover High School out in York so I sent the team the following letter:

Lady Eagles,

“WHO-HA-HA!” I am so proud of all of you. You have already accomplished more than any Varsity Volleyball team before you here at Lititz Christian School. 14-0 including the regular and post-season in the CCAC - That is amazing! A perfect record all season long on home court - That is sensational! And a CCAC Championship to go with it all - That’s just terrific! Congratulations.

But beyond that, you have also accomplished something far more significant. You have been instrumental in raising school spirit here at LCS like I have never seen! You have done that not only by your excellent play on the court and your athletic accomplishments but you have also done so by your example off the court. I remember sitting in my office on a late afternoon not long ago and hearing a lot of noise out it the parking lot. I stuck my head out the door only to see our volleyball players giving our varsity soccer team a hero style send off as they loaded up the bus to go to their District Playoff game. Not many people saw what you did that afternoon but I did and I believed that it went a long way to put the guys in the right mindset that resulted in their playing what was arguably their best soccer of the season in spite of the 1-0 loss. Never underestimate the impact that school spirit has on a student body and it almost always goes back to the school’s athletic program.

One of the main things I love about you as a volleyball team is that there is not one star that carries the team on her shoulders. You are just that…a team and that is why you have been so successful in winning volleyball matches and rekindling the flame of school spirit here at LCS. Well done, ladies.

Unfortunately, due to an Elder meeting that was already on the calendar and could not be rescheduled, I will not be able to attend your District Playoff game Thursday night. Believe me, I wish I could be there to cheer you on. But please know that even though you won’t hear my voice from the stands, I will be there in spirit and thinking of you and rooting for you as you play. You have an opportunity to turn some heads in these District Playoffs and I know you will give your best. So play with excellence. Give your all. Leave it all on the court. I wish you well!

And one more thing, ladies…KICK BUTT!

Pastor Scott (Your #1 Fan)

2 comments:

Becky White said...

I agree with you Pastor, it is all about team work, in almost every aspect of our lives,husband and wife and children, work in many cases and even church. I have been in churches where it is a one man show and in every case the outcome has never honored God. I am glad they worked as a team and got the job done!!

Pastor Scott said...

Amen, Becky! Thanks for reading!