Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guy Cry Movies


We are currently in a message series here at Grace Church that we are calling “Chick Flicks of the Bible.” But what exactly is a “chick flick?” My definition would be “a sappy move designed to make women cry.” I will isten to my daughter talk to my wife about a movie she saw. She’ll say, “Mom, you have to see it. It’s great. It will make you cry!” I just don’t get that! Why would anyone want to watch a movie that makes you cry? I spend my life trying to avoid things that make me cry! My definition is not far from the one given on-line at Wikipedia which describes a chick flick as “a film designed to appeal to a female targeted audience.” The term was first used in the 1980’s. So I did a Google search for “famous chick flicks.” I took the list and compiled them and here were the top ten Chick Flick movies. The first 8 are in no real order:

Titanic
Legally Blonde
How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days
Dirty Dancing
Thelma and Louise
The Holiday
The Notebook
Pride and Prejudice

But the top two were on just about every list. They include:

Pretty Woman
When Harry Met Salary


But then I discovered that there are also movies called “Guy-Cry” movies. Wikipedia defines them as “the masculine version of a chick flick…a film that addresses a male audience but has strong emotional material.” The top “guy cry” movies are as follows:

#12 - Hotel Rwanda
#11 -
Saving Private Ryan
#10 -
Hoosiers
#9 - Backdraft
#8 - Big Fish
#7 - Brian’s Song
#6 - Good Will Hunting
#5 - (4-way tie…all about dogs) My Dog Skip, Snoopy Come Home, Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows
#4 - Field of Dreams
#3 – (3-way tie…all chick flick types) Terms of Endearment, Love Story, Steel Magnolias
#2 - Armageddon
#1 - The Shawshank Redemption

2 comments:

Larry Crull said...

Heather loves chick flicks. I believe that her favorite is The Holiday. Why watch a movie that makes you cry? I will never understand her, or any woman, fully! I've never heard of the movie When Harry Met Salary. It must be new. Just kidding. I love your posts! I will be praying for you and your church.

Pastor Scott said...

I agree, Larry! I spend my life trying to avoid things that make me cry!! Always good to hear from you!