Friday, October 03, 2008

Do Ghosts Exist?


Do ghosts exist? Of course they do! Keep in mind that the spirit world is teeming with life. God Himself is a spirit. The third person of the trinity is called the Holy Spirit. God created countless billions of spirit beings called angels. One of these angels, Lucifer (Satan), rebelled and 1/3 of God’s angles followed and are what we call demons today.

People in Jesus day certainly believed in ghosts. In Matthew 14:25-27 and Mark 6:48-50, when Jesus comes to the disciples walking on the water, they become afraid because they think they have seen a ghost. In Luke 24:36-40, when Jesus appears to the disciple following His resurrection they are afraid thinking they have seen a ghost. Jesus tells them to touch him and make sure He is not a ghost because ghosts do not have bodies.

So if ghosts exist, what are they? Are ghosts the spirits of humans who have died? I don’t think so. Jesus taught in Luke 16 of the rich man who died and immediately opened his eyes in torment and of Lazarus who upon death was immediately carried away to paradise by the angels. In this story the rich man begs Abraham to send Lazarus back to warn his family so they would not come to this same place of torment. Not only does this passage teach us clearly that the spirits of the dead do not roam the earth today, we also learn from this passage that even if the dead were to return to warn the living of the torments of the afterlife (like Jacob Marley did to Ebenezer Scrooge) it would not be effective. The passage is clear that the spirits of the dead would certainly not be allowed to return to the living without permission. Now if permission would not be given for a good reason such as warning the living of coming judgment, it is highly doubtful that it would be given for any other more trivial reason.

Other passages would concur that the spirits of the dead do not roam the earth. In the Gospels, Jesus promised the repentant thief on the cross that “this day” he would be with Him in paradise. Paul taught in 2 Corinthians 5:8 that for the believer, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord in heaven. The writer of Hebrews teaches that it is appointed unto man once to die and after this comes the judgment (Hebrews 9:27).

So if ghosts are not the spirits of humans who have died, are they angels? I do no think this is the case either. Angels appeared to humans in the Bible but never in a haunting way but rather in the form of humans who identified themselves in a clear manner while bringing a message or being on a mission from God. So if “ghosts” do exist and they are not humans or angels, than there is only one other alternative. They must be demons.

It is good to remember certain things about demons. First, demons have no power over anyone but what God allows (Job 1:12; 2:6; Matthew 8:31-32). They, as well as Satan, are like wild dogs on leashes and God is the one holding the leashes. The instances of demonic involvement in Scripture far outnumber the two instances of people interacting with dead people (Saul speaking with the spirit of Samuel in 1 Samuel 28; and Moses and Elijah appearing on the Mt of Transfiguration in Matthew 17).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The passage is clear that the spirits of the dead would certainly not be allowed to return to the living without permission. Now if permission would not be given for a good reason such as warning the living of coming judgment, it is highly doubtful that it would be given for any other more trivial reason.So you say this. I say that Jesus came in human form not just to die for our sins and to fully communicate Gods salvation but to identify with our needs!Hebrews 2v 18- Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
Hebrews 2 v 14=Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death-that is the devil. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people.Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted!
I believe someone to come back from the dead and tell about the real torment after judgment God would not allow! This I believe because It is by Faith that we walk and not by site. We have Gods word to give us faith(The Bible),which by Grace we are saved through his son Jesus Christ who died for our sins on the cross.God says believe in my Son Jesus and you will be saved, and spend eternity with me in heaven. If someone was able to come back and tell of the real torment after judgment it would not be by faith,and the word! it is not how God intended things to be. I believe there are Ghosts, spirits, good and bad. For it is God who has dominion over all things. If someone was suffering after a lost loved one, I believe God would answer his/hers prayers of wanting to see or hear from them.So as to give them peace in their heart.So the devil will not tempt that there is not a good god for he is no good, do not believe, for he took your loved one. Just as Jesus suffered that last min on that cross. God wants to keep his children and let them know that he is there for them. So if one dies and his spirit goes to God , God is in control of who can come back and who can't.God gave the breath of life to adam.When you die your spirit goes back to God!If a non believer your soul goes to the devil.(I believe)If someone is in pain and suffering a loss.God can do as he wishes to bring that spirit back to comfort you,I believe.This to me is not a trivial thing!God does not want us to drift away.We seem to question life and death when someone dies,be it a young one or old.I believe God sends angels,spirits,ghosts,good or bad after death to serve his purpose,his will, for his children on earth.Hebrews 2 v4 God also tesifies to it by signs, wonders and various miracles,and gifts of the Holy spirit distributed according to his will.God does not want us to drift,our faith in God is instilled when we hear from a deceased one.be it he went to heaven or hell.God is in the drivers seat not the devil! God allows things or he doesn't.That is judgment day after death.God makes the decisions.so if one of my relatives went to hell. Yet I missed him/her so bad my heart was hurting,I am sure that God would allow him/her to come back in what ever form to answer my prays. If anything it instills faith.And hey a ghost is only scary because its a ghost! He she is suposed to be dead!lol.There is a reason for everything,and everything is controlled by God!Just like in revelation.The devil loses!Because that is how God wants it!I lost a friend and this peace stayed over me.Like he was with me,inside my body.Keeping me so peaceful,yet sorrowful at the same time.When it came time for the song on eagles wings in the church that is when I was uncontrollably in tears.I felt him leave me.After some time I felt his presence in my house,as I did let God know I missed him. I do not know if he repented of his sins before he died,as he did sinful things,as well as good.But I do know when I miss him someone or a dream, a presence comes into my life and comforts me. I do believe God uses The good spirits,bad,ghosts and what have you as his own free will to do as he wish's.For he is the creator of all!

Anonymous said...

Dear Scott, I would also like to add to my post that demons do exist and torment others!I have learned from my experience since walking with God,that the more I open my heart,and come closer to him the more the devil plays with you.He is a deceiver and is always looking to get people to stay with him.In a sinful way of life. I like job have been tormented by the devils ways.always looking to have me say how could God be doing this to me,when I love him so?I for one will never denounce God! For without him I am nothing.He is my Rock and my Salvation!Amen! As Ghosts,Spirits,and demons are real to me.I have been on both sides of the coin. I have experienced good ones and bad.Such as your story,I have one as well. A few yrs ago a women died downstairs from me.I one day woke up and heard these muffled sounds as cries for someone was being hurt.It was loud as I heard it though the floor.I thought the little girl downstairs was being abused.Next thing I know this women came running out of the house.I asked if everything was ok.She said her mother died!Her so called brother said she had cancer.I dont know if it was a mercy killing or what.The sounds I heard were someone like under a pillow yelling.No offical came to the house until like 5;30/6pm at night this was at 3:15pm.I called my pastor at the time to come over to pray.We both went downstairs,the women had a scarf around her chin to her neck to keep her mouth closed.People came and went all night.They had the body in the bedroom right under my chair where i heard her yell.I prayed on my knees for her when i was in there.Since then the people moved out,but left something behind I believe.I believe its the womens ghost/spirit.Weird things have happend here in my apt since then.The fear as you said was setting in.Nothing but bad things have happend since that day.(just so you know the people were on crack,pot,drinking,and i still believe that mentally challenged girl was being abused as well. No cops ever came to the door.These people were from the hurricane katrina new orleans.I was glad when they left.But there is a bad spirit in my house my fear is gone thanks to my faith in Jesus Christ! But she is still here lol..I believe people/spirits/ghosts do exist.Again there is a reason for everything.Only God I believe controls all.He can stop the devil as in Job,or allow him to proceed for Gods own will. still strange things go on.I try to take it with a grain of salt as they say.With God as my driver I have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Pastor Scott said...

Hi Louann. Thanks for reading and posting. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.