Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Season For Worship


I can't imagine living in a part of the country that did not experience all four seasons - fall, winter, spring, summer! I think that's why I have so quickly grown to love living here in northern Michigan. Here we get all four seasons in brilliant fashion. But my current series on the life of Noah has given me a new appreciation for each of the seasons. Let me explain.

Genesis chapter 8 ends with God telling Himself that He would never destroy the earth again with a flood like He did in Noah's day. In the next chapter He will make that as a covenant with Noah, and ultimately, with you and I today. But in the final verse of chapter 8 God tells us that He has established the seasons as a perpetual reminder that God is still in control and that He always keeps His word!

Now each season as it comes and goes is not just another opportunity for beauty - it is a call to worship. As summer turns to fall and the leaves turn the brilliant colors (and I have never experienced color as I did this past fall here in northern Michigan), it is call to worship. Even as I am raking and blowing the billion or more leaves that fall in my yard here on Deepwoods Drive, it is a call for me to fall on my knees and worship a God who is always in control and who always keeps His word.

And when fall turns to winter and the snow begins to fall and the winds begin to blow and the temps begin to drop, it is a call to worship. Even as I rake my roof and fire up the snow blower to clear my driveway with the snow blowing back into my face, it is a call for me to fall on my knees and worship a God who is always in control and who always keeps His word.

And as fall turns to spring and buds form on the trees and the birds start to sing and the flowers start to burst through the ground, it is a call to worship. Even as I fight through the swarms of mosquitoes walking through my yard, it is a call to fall on my knees and worship a God who is always in control and who always keeps His word.

And as spring turns to summer with the long days of daylight and the perfect temperatures, it is call to worship. Whether it's being on the golf course, boating on a lake, or mowing the yard, it is a call for me to fall on my knees and worship a God who is always in control and who always keeps His word.

Here in Northern Michigan, it is always a season for worship!

No comments: