Monday, June 21, 2010

What Will I Miss Out On When Jesus Returns?


In 2 Peter 3:8-10, Peter answers the question as to why Jesus has not come back yet as He promised. You can read about this in my earlier posts. In verse 11, Peter now moves to our conduct as His followers in light of the fact that He is one day going to return. Based on this, what “sort of people” are we to be? This deals with more than the surface. When Jesus calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee with just His words, His disciples asked each other , “What sort of person is this?” So what sort of people should we be in light of the fact that Jesus is going to return?

First, we should live holy and godly lives according to verse 11. The word “holy” refers to our external actions while the word “godly” refers more to our internal attitudes. Realizing that Jesus is going to return should completely change how we act and how we think.

Second, Peter says in verse 12 that we should anticipate the Day of God. Notice that in verse 10 he refers to the Day of the Lord but in verse 12 he uses the name, Day of God. Some would say that they are the same – they are synonymous. I don’t think so. I believe that the Day of the Lord speaks of the time of judgment that takes place in between the start of the tribulation and the end of the Millennial Kingdom while the Day of God speaks of eternity in the new heaven and the new earth. It is the Day of the Lord that brings us the hope of the Day of God.

Peter says we should be “looking for” the Day of God. “Looking for” carries the idea of expectancy. We are to be eagerly awaiting the day when we will live with God forever in this new heaven and this new earth. Have you noticed that the older you get the more this becomes true – the more you find yourself eagerly awaiting eternity with God? I am only 45 years old but I find myself eagerly awaiting spending eternity with the Lord more now than ever before.

But what about the things I might miss if Jesus were to come back today? I am on the verge of empty nest. I am looking forward to this. I’ll miss my kids – but I am looking forward to the quiet, to having my car back, to knowing were my remote control is. And at some point I am looking forward to grandchildren. But if Jesus came back today, I’d miss all that. And I know what every teenager and single adult is thinking right now – what about missing out on that little 3-letter word that begins with “s” and ends with “x”? What about missing out on that?

The truth of the matter is this – seeing Jesus face to face and spending eternity with Him will be far more surpassing in enjoyment and fulfillment then anything I could possibly miss out on here on earth. You mean being with Jesus will be better than “empty nest”? Yes! You mean being with Jesus will be better than having grandchildren? Undoubtedly! You mean being with Jesus will be better than sex? Just a little – I’m only kidding – it will completely outshine sex. So instead of falling in love with empty nest; with being grandparents; with experiencing the pleasure of your wedding night – fall more in love with Jesus because seeing Him face to face and spending eternity with Him will be the greatest pleasure and the greatest joy that you could ever experience. As a result, we should be eagerly awaiting His coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, thanks for your insightful deliverance of Scripture. I continue to glean much from your teaching. -RT

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks, RT! I very much appreciate your encouragement! Blessings!