Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Shrek Speaks to Adults


On Memorial Day my whole family (me, my wife, my daughter, my son, my son’s girlfriend, as well as my mom and my dad) went to the movie theater to see the new Shrek movie in 3-D. I’m not much into cartoons anymore but I am still a sucker for a cartoon with some good humor. So I have always enjoyed the Shrek movies. Besides, who can resist a talking donkey that sounds like Eddie Murphy? Every time that beast of burden opened its mouth I found myself laughing (at least on the inside).

The movie was a typical sequel – you know – never as good as the original (especially when there are multiple sequels). But I left this move with a smile on my face for more reason than just laughing at the Eddie Murphy sounding donkey. This time my smile was because of two very wonderful morals that the movie taught that both connected with me as a 45-year old adult. Before I give you the two morals that I found, I first must give you a brief overview of the flick.

In case you never have seen any of the Shrek movies, you may not know that Shrek is an ogre who in the first movie rescues the cursed princess from the dragon’s lair. As a result, he marries the princess, has children and becomes a hero in “Far Away Land.” But as the new Shrek adventure in 3-D opens, the ogre misses the days of having everyone being scared of him and is ultimately tricked by the evil Rumpelstiltskin who agrees to allow him to re-live one of those days from his past in exchange for a day from his childhood. This lands Shrek into a life where his wife does not know him, and without true love’s kiss from her, he will cease to exist.

Through this misadventure, Shrek comes to the conclusion that you never really realize how good you have it until you no longer have it. Shrek had forgotten how good he had it as a popular ogre married to a loving princess with three ogre-looking children until he no longer had any of it. How true is that about so much of our lives? We forget how good we have it as a family until we are separated from our families. We forget how good we have it where we work until we lose our job. We forget how good we have it where we worship until we no longer are able to worship there. I believe the Apostle Paul would agree with this moral as he was the one who said that we need to learn to be content in all situations of our lives.

But my favorite moral in this movie came at the end after Shrek had won back his princess wife but it appeared it was too late. And as he began to dissolve into nothingness, his wife apologized to him for not seeing his love in time. Shrek’s answer is awesome. He says something along these lines, “You gave me a special gift. I got to fall in love with you all over again.” WOW! I only wish every married couple that sees that movie hears that line. What a great truth to lift up at the end of this cartoon movie. There are few gifts more special in life than being able to fall in love with our spouses all over again.

Oh how I wish every husband could learn this Shrek-like value. We need to fall in love with our wives all over again. Oh, how I wish every wife could learn this Shrek-like value as well. Take time to fall in love with your husband all over again. Far too many people end up not realizing how special their marriage is until they no longer have it. Don’t make that mistake.

No comments: