Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcome, Mr. President


Dear President Obama,

Today is your big day, the day you will be sworn in as the President of the United States. Congratulations to you and to your wife, Mrs. Obama, our new first lady.

I’m sure that you will never see, read or even hear of this letter, but I felt compelled to post it publicly anyway. I am not writing this letter as a Republican or an American, though I am proud to be both. I am writing this letter as a follower of Jesus Christ.

The truth is that back in November I did not vote for you and Vice President Biden. This was mainly due to differences that I would share with you in regard to many policies and issues. However, you clearly won the election. In Romans 13:1, the Apostle Paul wrote:

“Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.”

I believe that it is God who ultimately is the one who establishes leaders and authorities. It is for this reason that I in no way see your victory as a mistake. And as a result I want you to know that as you put your left hand on Abraham Lincoln’s Bible today, raise your right hand, and take the oath of office, you will not just become “the” President…you will become “my” president. I make the commitment even today that I will follow your leadership, honor you and respect you. You are my President and I wish you well.

The Apostle Paul also wrote these words to young Timothy in First Timothy 2:1-7:

“First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.”

I want you to know, Mr. President, that I am also committed to praying for you, your leadership, your administration, your wife and your children. I pray for wisdom. I pray for courage. I pray for safety. I pray that you will succeed in your administration. I pray that you will succeed as President. I pray that you will succeed as Commander and Chief. I pray that you will succeed as a husband. I pray that you will succeed as a father. Most of all I pray that your years in office will draw you into a closer and more intimate relationship with Jesus Christ than you ever imagined possible.

So, Mr. President, today begins your journey in your new and most important role. The challenges you face going into office with the state of our economy; the war on terror; the unrest in the Middle East, and a hundred other things I don’t even know about our staggering. Please know, that is it my privilege to welcome you today as “my” President.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't want him to succeed if it means he does not defend the US Constitution and takes us further down the road to socialized govenment. In these areas I think we need to pray that he doesn't succeed.
I know everyone is trying to be upbeat and that is great but we can't follow any President without questioning and voicing our displeasure when he goes against what we stand for.
Other wise I agree with your letter. He won we need to give him a chance and see how he leads.