Monday, January 12, 2009

If You Want To Be A Leader...


One of my college profs use to say, “If you want to be a leader, you have to be a reader.” In my heart, I know this is true. But in reality, I struggle to apply this principle to my life. I do so much studying as part of my week in preparing messages that the last thing I really want to do when I get home at night or for relaxation is to read.

Recently one of our Elders gave me a copy of an article that was in the December 28, 2008 edition of the Wall Street Journal. The article was about a reading contest that has happened the last three years between a man named Karl and a man named George. In each of the three years, Karl came out as the winner…a true three-peat. I was amazed at the final score of the first year’s contest. Karl read 110 books that year to George’s puny 95 books. 110 books? That’s more than 2 books a week.

Surely these two guys have nothing else to do with their time or life. Their probably both retired or independently wealthy so they have nothing else to do with their time, right? Well actually, Karl’s full name is Karl Rove and George’s name is George W. Bush, or perhaps more respectfully, President George W. Bush. Rove, of course, was the former Senior Adviser and Deputy Chief of Staff to President Bush.

The contest started on New Year’s Eve 2005 when President Bush asked Karl Rove what his New Year’s Resolutions were and Karl answered that it was to read one book a week in 2006. Three days later the President said to Karl, “I’m on my second. Where are you?” And the contest had officially begun.

For winning, Karl Rove received a trophy that he said looked suspiciously like those given out at a junior bowling finals. He also said that the President insisted he lost because he’d been, “busy as Leader of the Free World.” Excuses…excuses.

The article went on to say that President Bush reads instead of watching television. There is my problem. I watch television instead of reading.

The article also said that President Bush reads on Air Force One. That is my second problem. I don’t have a private jet or else I’m sure I would read more.

The article also said that President Bush reads to relax. That is my third problem. I eat in order to relax. It helps me to sleep.

The article also said that President Bush reads because he is curious. That’s my final problem. In most cases, I’d rather not know.

But along with reading 95 books in one year, the article said that each year, the President also reads the Bible from cover to cover along with a daily devotional. I may never succeed in reading 2 books a week, but surely I can read my Bible every day, can’t you?

No comments: