Thursday, November 01, 2012

HUNT! VOTE! PRAY!

Today is the first day of November.  To me, November is all about freedom!  Find out why by reading the article I wrote below that was published in the "Pastor's Perspective" section of today's "Weekly Choice Newspaper":


HUNT!  VOTE!  PRAY!  


Typically it is during the month of July that we celebrate our freedom here in America.  But living in Northern Michigan, I actually think that November is the perfect picture of freedom.  November here in Northern Michigan is all about three very significant freedoms.

First, November in Northern Michigan is hunting season.  This is all about the freedom we have to bear arms as seen in the 2nd amendment of our Constitution.  I have to admit that as a transplant to this area, I did not grow up a hunter.  In fact, I have never officially hunted a day in my life.  I did, however, shoot a groundhog once at a friend’s house who was a farmer.  I wanted to get that groundhog stuffed for our mantle but my wife wouldn’t let me.  But now that I live here in northern Michigan, I actually own a gun for the first time in my life.  

Second, November in Northern Michigan is Election Day.  This is about the freedom we have to vote and to be part of electing our leaders as seen in the 15th, 19th and 26th amendments of the Constitution.  The Bible is clear that it is God who sets up and removes leaders (Romans 13:1), but He often does this through the election process.  That’s why it is so important for everyone to vote.  It’s not just a right we have – it’s a responsibility.  Whether you are a Democrat, a Republican, an Independent, or part of any other political persuasion, I want to strongly encourage you to celebrate your freedom this month by making voting in this year’s election a priority.

Third, along with the freedom to bear arms and the freedom to vote, we also have the freedom to pray.  This is all about the freedom of religion as seen in the 1st amendment of the Constitution.  In my mind, this just may be the greatest freedom of them all.  Jesus said it this way in John 8:36, “So if the Son (Jesus) makes you free, you will be free indeed!”  

It’s November!  And here in Northern Michigan November is a month to celebrate our freedoms.  This is the month to hunt!  This is the month to vote!  And most importantly, this is the month pray!  

No comments: