Thursday, October 22, 2009

Our Youngest Turns 18 Today


Everyone would agree that turning 18 is one of those milestones of life. But this milestone is multiplied when the person turning 18 is your youngest child. Today is my son, Jonathan’s, 18th birthday. That’s right. Laura and I are right on the doorstep of the season of life called “Empty Nest” as we watch our children go from the realm of teenagers into the realm of adulthood.

Jonathan is a senior this year here at Lititz Christian School. Come the beginning of this approaching summer, he will graduate from High School. Come the end of this approaching summer and he will begin his first year in college. Jonathan has always been the personality who has brought us many laughs as a child and as a teenager. Now we will get to laugh with him (and quite often at him) as he enters to world of adulthood. How cool!

Come August, Jonathan will be attending Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia where his sister, Joy, is currently finishing her sophomore year. Since Laura and I are both graduates of Liberty (I also got my masters through Liberty’s correspondence program) we are thrilled to see our kids spending their college career on Liberty Mountain. Some might think that since we are alumni that we directed our kids to Liberty. That is nowhere near reality. Our kids chose Liberty completely on their own accord. Obviously, I’m glad. Personally, I don’t see why anyone would go anywhere else, but obviously I’m quite biased.

Jonathan has always had a soft heart. He was always the one who looked out for the underdog and wanted to befriend the person who didn’t make friends real easily. From the youngest of ages, Jonathan would find a friend in a matter of moments no matter where we went, from church to the Playland at McDonalds.

Jonathan has a love for music. He loves to play guitar. He loves to sing. He loves to write songs. He loves to worship. And he is rather good at all of these. I have always loved to watch my son play sports but nothing brings me greater joy than watching him lead worship. No wonder John wrote, “I have no greater joy than to see my children walk in truth” (3 John 4). Jonathan will be a Worship Arts Major at Liberty. He is really sensing a call on his life to be a Worship Arts Director or Worship Pastor. I can see that call developing in his life as well and it greatly excites me.

18 years ago today I held him in my arms for the first time. Now we start the process of officially letting him go. But that doesn’t sadden me. It really doesn’t. It actually excites me. You see, that is how it is supposed to be. That is how God intended it. In reality, Jonathan isn’t mine. He belongs 100% to God. 18 years ago today God gave Laura and I Jonathan, not to possess, but as good stewards, to raise in the nurture and admonition of the Lord so that He would ultimately fulfill the very plan that God has for his life. The last 18 years have been fun. But now the real fun begins…watching Jonathan accomplish God's plan for his life.

1 comment:

Craig Ford said...

Well said Scott! Bravo to you and Laura for raising a godly young man, and Happy Birthday to Jonathan.