Monday, December 08, 2008

M&M Stories


Whenever I need a quick snack to satisfy a sweet craving, I can always count on a bag of Peanut M&M candies to hit the spot. The same is true of Personal M&M stories. M&M stands for the two key words in the purpose statement of Grace Church. We exist as a ministry to MEET people where they are and help MOVE them to where God wants them to be. As I like to say, that makes us the only church I know of whose purpose melts in your mouth and not in your hands!

Nothing is more satisfying to my ministry cravings then to hear personal M&M stories of how God has used Grace Church to help meet people where they are and move them to where He wanted them to be. The last two weeks have been full of them! In today and tomorrow’s posting, let me give you a quick glance at just a few of these M&M stories that have so encouraged and energized me.

I received a letter recently from a young lady who lost her husband to death and who now is raising multiple kids by herself. God led her to Grace Church. Below are parts of her letter (I took editorial privileges to keep the author anonymous):

I am writing to let you know how much you and your church have impacted my life. As an adult I had fallen away from the church and became one of those people who attended services on Christmas and Easter and other times when it was convenient. I believed that because I believed in God and prayed that I didn’t need to go to church. I felt that church was ritual and wasn’t necessary in my life. I struggled through some very rough times including the death of my husband that left me a single mom. I felt very alone. September of 2008 was the worst. I was very depressed, very sad, and very lost.

I have many close friends who are members of Grace Church. They have always encouraged me to attend but I never seemed to find the time. Finally, in October of 2008 I found the time. From the moment I walked in the door I felt a warmth and a positive spirit that filled my heart. I couldn’t believe when the service was over! I not only was wide awake the whole time, I was energized. The next week I brought my parents along. I was a little nervous because the style of the service is different than what they are used to. My parents loved it and came with me the rest of the month of October.

Since coming to Grace I have felt so warm and positive. It is so odd, but I don’t feel alone at all anymore. I feel God and Jesus with me. It is almost quite literally like being lost in the woods for a long period of time and finding my way home. Part of me wonders why it took so darn long, but on the other hand, I don’t care that it took the time. I just feel so great and I want it to continue. Since my husband passed away many, many people have done wonderful things for me and my family but you have given me the greatest gift of all. I love your mission statement about meeting people where they are and bringing them to where God wants them to be. Well, I am one small example of mission accomplished. I want to sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: