Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Christmas Song I Hate To Hear


This month I have been listening to those radio stations that play nothing but Christmas music this time of year. As a result I have developed a pretty lengthy list of holiday songs I hate to hear. On this list includes such holiday favorites such as “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" (that has got to be the stupidest Christmas song ever written); “The Twelve Days of Christmas" (personally I would rather sing “99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall”); “The Little Drummer Boy”; and “O Christmas Tree.” Thee are even some serious songs on my list of Christmas songs I hate to hear such as “What Child is This” and “Christmas Shoes” (I didn’t mind this song the first couple times I heard it but when radio stations began to play it about every 10 minutes, I got tied of it real quick).

But a new song has risen to the top of my list. It is not new in time but it is new to me as I had never heard it before a few weeks ago. How did I get introduced to this song? It came to my attention when our Worship Arts Director here at Grace Church, Mr. Matt McElravy, made the decision to use it in all three of our worship services this coming Sunday morning. Why is it now #1 on my list of Christmas songs I hate to hear? Because it’s one of those “twangy” country music songs (you know, the style of music the devil listens to!). It is written by Merle Haggard and entitled, “If We Make It through December.”

Honestly, if this song comes on the radio this week I will quickly change the station. But as much as I hate this song, I can honestly say that I can’t wait to hear it sung by our own Jason “Chobe” Dearborn this Sunday because it fits our theme perfectly. This Sunday, as part of our “Messy Christmas” series, we will see that Jesus is a Christmas gift for the desperate. Below are the words to the song. This Sunday I’ll get to hear it (three times)!!

I got laid off down at the factory
And there timings not the greatest in the world
Heaven knows I been workin' hard
I wanted Christmas to be right for daddy's girl
Now I don't mean to hate December
It's meant to be the happy time of year
And why my little girl don't understand
Why daddy can't afford no Christmas here

If we make it through December
Everything’s gonna be alright I know
It's the coldest time of winter
And I shiver when I see the fallin' snow
If we make it through December
I got plans of bein' in a warmer town come summer time
Maybe even California
If we make it through December we'll be fine

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with the Hippo song and Christmas Shoes, and would like to add anything by the Chipmunks. But the Little Drummer Boy?

I've never heard If We Make It through December, but I could listen to Jason sing anything. Which is the completely unbiased opinion of a sister.

Wishing you all the best this Christmas.

Susie Copenhaver

Pastor Scott said...

Come on, Susie, what's wrong the Chipmunks?

Anonymous said...

One that is new to me since arriving here in PA and we've been hearing a lot is "Dominic the Donkey" I personally think this out ranks the hippo song in the "weird" category. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think that's the first time I've been mentioned in a blog! I remember last time I was asked to do a country song (Live Like You Were Dyin) you "conveniently" had a conference in another state to go to! Having a steel guitar (and the great musician playing it!)on stage this week is an added bonus!

Chobe

-Thanks for the props sis!

Pastor Scott said...

Shawna...I could not agree with yoyu more. The only thing that would make that song any worse is if it was sung in more of a country twang style!!

Chobe...I hate country music but if I have to hear it sung, I'd rather hear it sung by you than anyone else!!