Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Book I Almost Wrote


One of my dreams has always been to write a book and have it published. For the life of me I can’t figure out how guys in ministry find the time to do that! Actually, I did write a book one time. I spent years on it. I was going to call it “The Purposeful Driven Life.” One day I was in an airport and took my just completed manuscript with me into a stall in the men’s restroom to do some final proof-reading before sending it off to the publisher. I accidentally left it in the restroom. When I realized it was done and I went back to get it, the manuscript was gone. The only thing I can think of is that it was picked up by a slightly overweight man with a goatee who was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and laughing at himself who happened to be going into the restroom just as I was leaving. I wonder what ever happened to that manuscript?

I was even going to use it to launch a line of Christian underwear…Purpose Driven Underwear. It, along with my book, would have been the first item we sold when we opened our own bookstore here at Grace Church. Since deja vue tends to follow me, it actually happened to me a second time years ago with a manuscript I was nearing completion on which I was calling “The Intercession of Jabez.” I’m not sure what ever happened with that lost manuscript either.

So what books have I read lately? As I blogged about earlier, I have read Macel Falwell’s book on the life and legacy of her late husband, Dr Jerry Falwell. I also read Tim Stevens book, “Pop Goes The Church.” Tim is on staff at Granger Community Church which was voted the most innovative church in American in 2007 and the second most innovative church in America in 2008. This is a church near where I use to pastor before coming to Lititz and they are doing a terrific job at what the church is supposed to do...reaching people for Christ. This book is a look at how the church can and should leverage culture to reach people for Jesus. Our Worship Arts Director here at Grace, Matt McElravy, gave everyone on our Worship Design team a copy of it. This is the team that plans our Sunday worship services here at Grace.

Currently I am reading a book by A.J. Jacobs entitled, “The Year of Living Biblically.” This is a very intriguing book . Jacobs is an agnostic who decided that for one year he would live out every command found within Scripture literally. This is a highly funny and entertaining book. The Bible can be confusing enough to me and I have years of theological training and Biblical experience. To read this Jewish agnostic’s take on the Biblical commands and stories and following his attempt at living it out literally is amazing. It has helped me to catch a glimpse of how unbelievers would view the Bible if they just took the time to read it.

I’m not sure if I will ever accomplish my dream of writing a book and having it published or not. Maybe some day I’ll have one of our office ladies take some of my sermon series and type them into transcripts. Maybe some day I will take a month long hiatus and spend that entire 30 days on my laptop. And maybe I will just sit down and write my own personal memoirs…a tell all book about my life as a pastor. I just hope I don’t leave anymore manuscripts sitting around in any public restrooms.

No comments: