Friday, January 25, 2008

I Like to Shop!



Most men hate it. Not me. One of my favorite pastimes is actually to go shopping with my wife. In fact, that is what we do together on my day off each and every Friday. And when I say we go shopping…I mean we go shopping. For example, last week on my day off we hit all of the following stores and we never even made it inside the mall:

Breakfast at the Lititz Family Cupboard (Laura loves their baked oatmeal)

Green Hills Discount Grocer

Giant Grocery Store

Pet Value Store (hey…you gotta feed the cat)

Stauffers

Turkey Hill (we got thirsty!)

Costco

Wal-Mart (what’s a day shopping without a stop at Wal-Mart?)

Porter’s Furniture Store in Lancaster (I don’t need to ever go back there)

TJ Max

Jo-Ann Fabrics (what a long wait in line for one lousy yard of fabric)

Dinner at the Longhorn Restaurant (steak with sautéed mushrooms and onions)

Those 12 shopping stops took us from 9am until 4pm and amounted to a full day’s worth of going from store to store with my wife. But that’s not unusual for us at all. Like I said, that is the way we spend my day off together every Friday. It really shouldn’t be too surprising. After all, we met for the first time while shopping.

We both were in college at the time at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. It was a Saturday morning and my friend and I hit Hardees for breakfast and then headed over to the Fort Flea Market to kill some time. There, a gal I knew named Sue introduced me to her new roommate…Laura. Laura was at the flea market looking for three things…a toaster, a garbage can and a picture frame for her boyfriend, Pete, who lived in Texas. That day she did not go home with a toaster, a garbage can or a picture frame. But that night we had our very first date. We saw the movie E.T. on campus. The rest is history and now we spend each and every Friday together shopping! Poor Pete!

No comments: