Friday, November 09, 2007

Where God Ain't




This Sunday morning we will continue our month long study through Psalm 139 that we are calling “How Great is our God” as we focus in on the fact that God is omnipresent. In other words, He is present everywhere all at the same time. As I have spent much time this week studying this amazing attribute of God, I have read some deep and staggering theological concepts. But in all that I have read, it was a very simple writing from what at best could be described as a "near poet" that caught my attention. Here it is:

He was just a little lad, and on a fine Lord’s day,

was wandering home from Sunday school and dawdling on the way.

He scuffed his shoes into the grass; he found a caterpillar;

he found a fluffy milkweed pod and blew out all the filler.

A bird’s nest in the tree o’erhead, so wisely placed and high,

was just another wonder that caught his eager eye.

A neighbor watched his zigzag course and hailed him from the lawn,

asked him where he’d been that day, and what was going on.

"Oh, I’ve been to Sunday school", (he carefully turned the sod,

and found a snail beneath it) "I’ve learned a lot ‘bout God."

"M’m, a very fine way," the neighbor said, "for a boy to spend his time.

If you’ll tell me where God is, I’ll give you a brand-new dime."

Quick as a flash his answer came, nor were his accents faint,

"I’ll give you a dollar, Mister, if you can tell me where God ain’t."

So I wonder how our lives would be drastically different this week if we would take the time to consciously remember that everywhere we go, God’s full presence is there. Do you think it would change what we do? Do you think it would change what we say? Do you think it would change what we watch? Do you think it would change what we listen to? Do you think it would change what we think? Be sure to join us this coming Sunday morning here at Grace Church (9am and 10:45am) as we look deeper into the greatness of our God. He is a God that is present everywhere all at the same time.

No comments: