Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Sitting by the Sea (Holy Land #2 of 14)


As I sit by the Sea of Galilee in the morning for a few minutes before we load the bus for another day of sight seeing in the Holy Land, I am overcome with emotion. So much of Jesus’ earthly ministry centered around this sea. I can look out across this body of water and my inagination kicks in gear.

I can picture Jesus walking by the shore, calling some fishermen with the words, “Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men!”

I can see Him in a boat just off shore teaching the parable of the sower to the crowds back on shore who are straining to hear His every word !

I can see him instructing the disciples to cast their nets out on the other side of the boat resulting in the greatest catch of fish they have ever experienced!

I can picture the disciples waking Jesus in the midst of a horrible storm with the words, “Master, don’t you care that we perish?” And Jesus standing and commanding “Peace be still” as the winds and the waves immediately calm!

I can picture the disciples again in the midst of a storm on the sea fearing for their lives in the middle of the night and Jesus walking out on the water to them and Peter stepping out of the boat and walking on the water toward Jesus, at least for a few steps!

I can picture Jesus talking to Peter around the fire as he cooks breakfast and asks Peter the question, “Do you love me?”

But most of all, I can picture Jesus getting up a great while before day, while it was still dark, and sitting by the edge of the Sea of Galilee and talking to His Father in heaven!

The beauty of the Sea of Galilee is astounding. But it is more than its spiritual beauty that moves my spirit. It is the beauty of initmacy with the Father that draws me to take a few minutes in the morning to sit by the Sea and imagine and pray.

I have been able to spend a few minutes on three consecutive monrings sitting by the Sea of Galilee. I can think of no better way to start any day. I have spent a few minutes there those evenings as well. It’s beauty at sunset and even after dark is breathtaking. I wish I could come here every morning. I wish I could end each of my days by this sea. I hope that I will be able to return to this sacred and beautiful spot again in my lifetime.

In reality I can daily. It may not be sitting in the quiet by the literal Sea of Galilee, but each morning I can spend a few intimate minutes talking to my Father in heaven as Jesus did by the Sea so many years ago. In my spirit, the Sea of Galilee will be wherever I am because there, at any time of the day, I can steal moments of initmacy with God.

No comments: