Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I can't believe I get to do this

If you’ve been in ministry long, then you realize that along with the mountain top experiences, there are also many valleys. These valleys are not uncommon but rather to be expected. As wonderful as the mountain tops are, the valleys are just as desolate. I remember when I was in college hearing Dr. Jerry Falwell say, “If you have a good day in ministry, expect the next two to be bad.” The truth is that many times this is correct. How often do those of us in full-time ministry drive home from the church thinking: “Who needs this?”

Over the past year, Bryan Nelson, who is our Worship Arts Director here at Grace Church, has taken our Worship Design Team that plans our Sunday Morning Services through Nancy Beach’s wonderful book, An Hour On Sunday. What a tremendous resource this has been. Nancy Beach is the Director of Programming at Willow Creek Community Church near Chicago which is pastored by Bill Hybels. I have had the opportunity to attend many services at Willow Creek while I lived in Northern Indiana and was always impressed with the creativity, excellence and depth that I saw. This book has shared many wonderful insights that have been very beneficial to our team as they plan. This book has helped us to see the value of excellence, creativity and authenticity in our Sunday morning ministry.

As I read the last chapter of her book I loved a final story she told. She was speaking about the weekly evaluation that her team has each week after the weekend services are complete. This particular weekend had been one of those in which God used her team beyond their expectations. As they shared stories and details, one guy quietly spoke up and simply said: “I can’t believe we get to do this!”

I smiled as I read that rather profound yet simple phrase because that is how I feel each and every Sunday as I get in my car after the morning services are over and drive home. I love Sundays. In fact, I live for them. Each and every Sunday I am amazed again and again at how God is using our services to see true transformation take place in the lives of people. It is a privilege to be able to preach the Word of God at Grace Church week to week. I am not exaggerating when I say that daily I receive e-mails, notes, calls or hear stories of person after person who is being impacted for Christ through our services.

Sure, ministry is hard at times, perhaps even harder than most people would think. But Nancy Beach is right when she says, “When we pause to recognize the wonder of what God allows us to do, it takes our breath away.” And Sunday after Sunday I find myself driving home from church with the same thought in mind: "I can’t believe I get to do this!”

No comments: