Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Good Eats


One of the things I do enjoy doing is eating out. But when I eat out, I also like to choose some places to eat that I have never been to before. In recent weeks I have been able to eat at some of the following places in the area:

The Brickerville House in Brickerville – I have eaten there for breakfast meetings many times but never for dinner. Laura and I went there one evening and were very pleased. I had some ham loaf that was out of this world (with French fries and apple fritters). Now back in the Midwest we never had ham loaf but I have come to really like it. Again, that’s ham loaf not meatloaf – there is a humongous difference in the two.

Tropicana Smoothie Café down by the Airport Diner – Laura and I had a coupon for buy one wrap get one wrap free. Then we split a smoothie. It was fantastic.

The Franklin House in Schafferstown – I pass this cool looking building all the time. The tavern was established 30 years before America became an official country. Laura and I went there with friends. We ordered off the tavern menu, not the dinner menu. Laura and I had a spinach artichoke dip appetizer and split a Reuben sandwich with fries. It was terrific.

The Olde Village Grille in East Petersburg. A lady from our church owns this cool little café. Laura and I went there for breakfast on our day off and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also was given a piece of amazing desert to enjoy later in the day! Awesome!

The Boar’s Head Pub – this is the new pub in downtown Lititz located with the General Sutter. It is a British style pub meaning there is no table service – you have to order at the bar. I went there with another man from the church. I had the Reuben – he had the fish and chips. It was great – and some of the best unsweetened iced tea I have ever drunk.

The Lyndon Diner down near the mall – OK, this one wasn’t anything more than normal when it came to food but it was a memorable experience. I went there with Pastor Tim, Pastor Doug and Pastor Steve. It was after midnight and we had just sat through an Elder Board meeting which lasted more than 4 hours so we were pretty giddy – thus, it was a memorable experience.

Last Friday Laura and I were down at the outlets on route 30. It was time to do lunch so we decided to drive on 30 past the outlets toward Gap and find a new place to eat. The problem is I don’t remember the name of the place. It was not far past Miller’s Smorgasbord on the left side of the road as you are heading toward Gap. It is located in kid of a “tourist trap” area that includes a building with a windmill. The restaurant started with a “D” – I do remember that. I had the lunch buffet. It was decent but the part I liked best was the pumpkin torte and the chocolate applesauce cake on the desert bar.

But when it comes to eating out, I am not hard to please. Last week I simply grabbed a 50 cent hot dog from Stauffers of Kissel Hill. Even that was very satisfying.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Is Diener's the name?


I know their breakfast is very good.

Pastor Scott said...

That's it, Ryan! i couldn't think of it for the life of me!