Monday, April 26, 2010

Becoming a Philly Fan?


Those who know me or have spent any amount of time reading my blog know that when it comes to professional sports, I am a Cleveland fan through and through. That doesn’t make for a lot of championships to celebrate. In fact, no Cleveland team that I follow has ever won a championship in my lifetime. However, that has a reasonable chance to finally change this year with the Cavs in the NBA – I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

You also know that I am virtually a “one city” kind of fan. If it isn’t a team from Cleveland I just can’t become a serious fan. Even when the NFL Browns moved to Baltimore I could not switch my loyalties to another city’s team. In the 10 years I lived in Southern Ohio, I could in no way find it in my heart to root for the Cincinnati Bengals or the Cincinnati Reds. When I lived in northwest Indiana where the closest sports city was Chicago, it was the same way. Root for the White Sox, the Cubs, the Bears, the Bulls or the Blackhawks? I don’t think so.

But things may be changing…again, I stress “may” be changing! Is it possible that I just might be finding myself becoming a fan of a professional sports team from the city of “brotherly love”? It is. But this possibility has nothing to do with the Philadelphia Eagles. They remain a team I love to watch lose – not sure why – just do, unless they are playing the Steelers, then it is “Fly Eagles, Fly”. On the 4th week of the NFL season this Fall I would love to see McNabb return to Philadelphia and lead the Washington Redskins in throttling the Eagles. But that’s just me.

What about the Phillies? I must say that I don’t feel the same way about them as I do the Eagles. I don’t root against the Phillies, but I don’t root for them either. I actually enjoy watching them play. They are an exciting ballclub and when they were in the World Series last year I definitely wanted them to beat the Yankees. But I don’t think I could ever become “an official fan” of the Phillies – maybe the Phillie Phanatic, but not the Phillies themselves.

Is it the Sixers that are starting to get to my sport’s heart? Not a chance!! Go CAVS!!

There is one major professional sports team left to be mentioned from Philadelphia – the Flyers! I enjoy hockey, especially when it reaches the playoffs. I look forward all day long to going home and watching some bone-crushing skating known as the NHL. And I have to admit – I have found myself rooting for the underdog Philadelphia Flyers with the same passion I usually show when it comes to rooting for teams that play on the banks of Lake Erie.

I think part of the reason is that in my teen and adult life there was never a professional hockey team in Cleveland that I could root for in the NHL. So as I root for the Flyers game to game I am in no way feeling like I have committed an act of athletic treason.

Now the jury is still out. I’m not ready to say 100% that I am officially a Philadelphia Flyers fan. When and if that day comes it will mean that the Flyers are the only team in the NHL that I will root for. There is still a very small part of me that kind of favors the Colorado Avalanche as well. But for now, the Avalanche are out of the Stanley Cup Playoffs so it’s “GO FLYERS!”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Pastor Scott--I am disappointed that you would root for those dirty playing Flyers.

How about rooting for a real team--the Washington Capitals? You know the Caps farm team is the Hershey Bears. That's closer to home than Philly is!

Let's go CAPS!!

Pastor Scott said...

Sorry, Anonymous. I've only been to one Bears game since I moved here 6 years ago and that is because my son was sining the National Anthem. I'll definitely have to take the FLYERS over the CAPITOLS.

Anonymous said...

You should really go to another Bears game. They are really good and the energy in the crowd is awesome. Plus it's not too far to go and the cost is reasonable. Lots of fun!!

Pastor Scott said...

I agree! Hey, I never thought Montreal would take you guys to a game 7. Your boys going to pull this series out?

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope so. They played horrible last night--hopefully they do better Wed on their home turf.