Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Disappointed in the Super Bowl Already




One week from this Sunday is the biggest sporting event of the year. Usually I get pretty pumped going into the Super Bowl – but not this year. Why? Two reasons:

First, I am disappointed in the Super Bowl because I have no team to root for. As I said last Sunday in church as I wrapped myself on stage in my Cleveland Brown’s Snuggie, I can only root for professional sports teams from Cleveland, Ohio. So, since the Cleveland Browns are not in the Super Bowl (what a surprise, huh?), I have no team to root for come game day.

Second, I am disappointed in this year’s Super Bowl already because not only do I not have any to root for, I have no team to root against. I’m not sure if any other sports fans out there are like me or not, but I get as much pleasure out of rooting against certain teams as I do rooting for my team. And there are some teams I love to root against in every sport. For example:

When it comes to hockey, I love to root against the Detroit Red Wings!

When it comes to basketball, I love to root against the Los Angeles Lakers and the Chicago Bulls!

When it comes to baseball, I love to root against the New York Yankees and the Chicago White Sox

It’s true of college sports as well. I love to root against any team playing from Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, The University of Southern California, and any team from any college in the state of Florida.

And football is no different. In fact, my passion to root against some teams is at its highest when it comes to the gridiron. For example:

I love to root against the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you are a Cleveland Browns fan, as I am, there is no explanation needed for this.

I love to root against the Baltimore Ravens. After all this is the team that resulted when Art Modell moved the Browns out of Cleveland under the cover of darkness.

I love to root against the Denver Broncos. After all, this is the team that miraculously beat the Browns two years in a row in the last seconds of the game to keep us from the Super Bowl.

And, I also love to root against both the Philadelphia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys. I’m not sure I can give you an exact reason why, I just do.

So, since Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Denver, Philadelphia, nor Dallas will be playing in the Super Bowl on February 7th, I really have no one to root for and no one to root against on that day. That’s why this year’s Super Bowl is going to be very disappointing to me.

5 comments:

Rick Glass said...

"miraculously" ?!?!? What?!?

Pastor Scott said...

You know its true, Rick!!!!

Jeff Troyer Carpentry LLC said...

the White Sox I understand.. but why the Bulls?

Maybe I'm still living in the glory days of the dynasty 90's..

Truth be told, I've not enjoyed the NBA for years now. Ever since Allen Iverson had a problem with dress code. Now I think the sport just wreaks with thugs, who do a discredit to the sport, and a greater disservice to the children who idolize them.. Although, this might have all started with Rodman.. ;)

Wayne M. said...

The Yankees are the best in baseball!!!

Pastor Scott said...

Oh, Wayne, I can't believe I just let the blasphemy on my blog!

Hi, Jeff! It all goes back to those years when MJ and the Bulls knocked my Cavs out of the playoffs! I'm still bitter.