Monday, January 25, 2010

Devotion and Sunggies


Colossians 2:2 tells us that we need to “devote ourselves” to prayer. But what does that really mean? This comes from a compound word in its original language made up of the word “to be steadfast” and the word “to endure.” It is the idea of persisting or faithfulness.

To really understand it, let me use a “non-spiritual” example from my own life where I am devoted. I am a devoted fan of Cleveland, Ohio professional sports teams. I grew up in Akron, Ohio. As a result, I am a devoted Cleveland Indians fan when it comes to baseball; a devoted Cleveland Browns fan when it comes to football; and a devoted Cleveland Cavaliers fan when it comes to basketball. Over the 4 decades that I have followed Cleveland sports teams, there has never been an overall championship – not even one. But there sure have been many reasons to abandon the emotional beating that Cleveland sports teams have provided me over the decades.

During my growing up years my Cleveland Indians almost always ended up in last or next to last place. During my early adult years they turned things around but still could never win the big one losing World Series to Atlanta and to Florida. Over the last couple of years they have hit dry times again but yet I remain a devoted fan and follower of the Cleveland Indians.

At least growing up the Cleveland Browns were pretty competitive. Yet, they have never even made it to the Super Bowl. I can remember three times that my Browns came within one play of stamping their ticket to the Super Bowl but all three times they lost. Once, Brian Sipe threw an interception into the end zone against the Oakland Raiders in what some have called “The Ice Bowl.” The other two times, both agonizing debacles came at the hands of the Denver Broncos. In each case, my Browns had the game won and then came John Elway’s 98-yard drive followed the very next year by Ernest Byner’s infamous fumble right before crossing the goal line. And if that were not bad enough – the tragedy became complete when Brown’s owner, Art Model, moved the Browns under the cover of darkness to Baltimore where they became known as the Ravens. For years I was a man without a football team but then the Browns were rebirthed. However, that rebirthing has again produced Sunday after Sunday of defeats and mishaps.

Yet, I continue to be a devoted Cleveland Brown’s fan. In fact, I have always thought that one of the silliest inventions of modern times was the Snuggie. Oh, they are so stupid. I’m sorry, they just are, especially for men. How could a man ever be caught dead in a Snuggie? Well, for Christmas my wife got a blue Snuggie from someone. I laughed! Was this, a gag gift? But then I opened up a gift from my sister who know lives in Tennessee. Guess what it was? A Snuggie! And not just any Snuggie – I got me a Cleveland Brown’s Snuggie. Suddenly, Snuggies became the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now I love to recline in my chair, put my arms through my Cleveland Brown’s Snuggie and watch TV. What changed my mind about the Snuggie? It was a Cleveland Browns Snuggie and I am a hopelessly devoted fan of the Cleveland Browns.

In the same way, we need to be devoted to prayer. No matter what the circumstances are, no matter how bad our life may seem to get, no matter if everyone else around us gives up, we must be devoted to prayer. Nothing of eternal importance happens a part from prayer!

3 comments:

Rick Glass said...

Even though it did have you're Browns all over it...you were right...it still did look like silliest invention ever! Because it is. Wouldn't wear one even if my wife's picture was all over it, just because of the dumb name - Snuggie.
...although silly, great illustration to drive home the point. Want to me more devoted! Thanks for an awesome message!!

...Go BRONCOS!! REMEMBER THE DRIVE!!

Pastor Scott said...

Thanks, Rick! By the way - you smell good!

Andy said...

I don't know...making a Brown's Snuggie is one of the few ways I can think of that would actually make a Snuggie worse.