Friday, September 27, 2013

Is BIG FOOT Real?


I spent some time this week with my wife and her parents up in the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan.  I have grown to really love spending time in the U.P. and this week was no exception - especially with the fall colors sitting at about 40% of peak!  But it appears that I may not be the only one who loves spending time in the beauty of the U.P.

One night we were at a scenic overlook in Munising, overlooking the great Lake Superior where we met two gentleman doing some video taping.  As we got talking to them we discovered that they both worked with the cable television station - The Animal Planet, and they were in the Munising are of the Upper Peninsula looking for evidence of BIG FOOT!  No - I am not kidding!!!

These guys were from southern California but travel all over the world following sightings of BIG FOOT.  And, yes, there has been sightings in recent years of this creature in the Hiawatha National Forest in the U.P.  I have to be honest - learning this information didn't do me a lot of good on those nightly walks from the camper to the bath house in the pitch black with noises all around me in the woods!

So, is BIG FOOT real?  I haven't the foggiest idea!  I can tell you that I personally did not run into him (or maybe it's a her) during my week up north (for which I am very, very thankful!)!

But let's be honest - weird experiences do happen.  Many people have had experiences where they have been visited by a dead relative.  Others tell of hearing the voice of a dead relative.  Still others tell of feeling the presence of dead relatives.  Some can share stories in which it appears that a dead relative gave them a physical sign of some sort.  These experiences are real, but what exactly are they?

Last week, as we started our new series, "Mythbusters: Are Ghosts Real?"  I answered the question with a definite YES!  The spirit world is teeming with life.  God is a spirit.  The third person of the Trinity is the Holy Spirit.  God created countless spirit beings called angels, many of which fell and became demons.  The spirit of every person since Adam who has ever been conceived and died still exists.  The truth is that there is more life in the spirit world than there is in the physical world. 


But how does this play into these kinds of visitation experiences?  Is it possible for the spirits of dead people to return to the physical world?  This week we will look beyond experiences to the pages of the Word of God to answer this question.  I hope you will join us through the following avenues:

ATTEND!  We have 3 services this Sunday here at Gaylord E-Free Church!  We have a Classic service that is more traditional in style at 9am in the Chapel.  We then have two Contemporary Services in the Gospel Center at 9am and 10:30am.

LISTEN!  Our 9am Contemporary Service is broadcast live on the radio on The Eagle (101.5 FM) here in Northern Michigan.  Beginning by Monday afternoon, you can also listen to the audio of the message at our church website (www.gaylordefree.org).

I'm not sure I can answer the question, "Is BIG FOOT real?"  However, I am pretty certain that I can answer the question, "Do the spirits of the dead ever return to the land of the living?"  Attend or listen this Sunday to find out!  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to learn more about this. Been in church most of my life and never heard any pastor or teacher dive into this subject. Specially not speaking on experiences but speaking through the Bible for the truth.