Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Being quick to hear is becoming a problem


James exhorts us to be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.  In other words, we should listen far more than we talk - especially in tense situations.  Or as one person reminded me Sunday, "There is a reason why God gave us two ears and only one mouth!"  It just makes sense, we should listen twice as much as we speak.

I have to admit that this is always a little difficult for me.  I tend to speak first and think later.  And to be honest, the listening part is becoming a bit tougher physically as well.  I have noticed over the past year - especially over the past 6 months - that my hearing is not what it use to be.  The problem comes when I am in a room where there is a lot of noise.

For example, if I am at a crowded restaurant where there is a lot of background noise, I can struggle to hear all the words being spoken across the table.  I have to be looking at the person across the table and really concentrating to get all of the words.  The same is true in the church lobby on Sunday when someone is talking to me with all of the noise of the people around us.

I've noticed that it is also getting more difficult to hear people clearly on the phone, especially if the person is talking in a soft voice.  If my wife is in the same room I can her her fine.  But if she is talking to me from another room, especially if there is other noise in the room, it is a bit more difficult for me to hear.   It looks like hearing aids may be creeping up to the top of the ever growing "to get when the kids are out of college" list.

I'd like to say it's just an ear wax problem.  This may gross you out, but I really do get excessive ear wax.  Seriously, my ears will completely plug up as a result.  I have to go to the doctor about twice each year to get my ears cleaned out and usually even the doctor is amazed at the large nuggets he pulls out of my ears.  If only ear wax was as valuable as gold!!!

The truth is that the problem is not ear wax.  It looks like age is creeping up on me.  But if you tell me that, I probably won't hear you!    

1 comment:

Glen said...

.................. (Oh, U probably didn't hear that either)