Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Two POUNDS To PIZZA



For the past two and a half months I have been on the “low carb” diet. I did this diet the year prior to my moving to Lititz and lost 35 pounds. I kept that weight off until I moved to Lancaster County. Over the three years since becoming Senior Pastor here at Grace Church, I have gained 40 pounds, going from 185 to 225. Part of it was the extra stress eating that comes with uprooting your family and staring a new ministry. But part of this increase also was the way people eat out here in Lancaster County.

Every time I saw my profile on the screens on Sunday morning I knew that I was enjoying Lancaster County cooking way too much. When I had only one pair of pants that still barely fit (and they were a size 40) I knew I had to do something and that something was not going out and buying size 42 pants. That was simply not an option. So back in mid-June I completely cut out some of the foods I love…mashed potatoes and gravy, spaghetti, macaroni and cheese and one of my staples…PIZZA!

It’s really not a bad diet. I can have all the meat, fish, eggs and cheese I want. Hey, I can even have SPAM. I can’t have bread or most fruits but I was never a big bread or fruit eater anyway. I eat more salad now than I ever use to but I am getting a little tired of ranch and blue cheese dressings. Some nights I’d give anything to have a little Honey Mustard or French dressing on my greens.

I have found a show on FIT TV called Blaine’s Low Carb Kitchen from which I have been able to print off some unique low carb recipes that my wife has made including low carb fried chicken; a low carb Monte Cristo sandwich; and low carb pumpkin torte. I’ve also found that Breyers makes a great low carb vanilla ice cream. It tastes great. At night I pour Diet A&W Root Beer over it and enjoy a tasty float while I lose weight.

Over the past 10 weeks I have lost 24 pounds. I feel great. I’m sleeping better and have more energy. I’m even taking my vitamins (most mornings). In fact, I don’t think I’m snoring much anymore either. Not only do all of my size 38 pants fit again, but the other day I actually wore a pair of my size 36 pants that were in the very back of my closet.

So now I find myself within 2 pounds of once again being under that 200 mark. As soon as I hit 199, I am celebrating with two pieces of pizza from Two Cousins in Manheim. Most of you know that I have standing lunch appointment every Monday afternoon at Two Cousins with several of the guys on our staff. For years that lunch has regularly consisted of pizza and fries. But for the last 10 weeks I have faithfully ordered and eaten salad with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing while the other guys on staff have tortured me by continuing to eat pizza and fries while I sit and pick the croutons off of my salad.

But 199 is not my final goal. When I get back to 185, the weight I was when I moved to Lititz three years ago, I am going to celebrate by eating a piece of chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. Hopefully, each Sunday you’ll continue to see a little bit less of me.

No comments: