Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I am a Friend of God


Who am I that You are mindful of me,
That You hear me when I call?
Is it true that you are thinking of me?
How You love me!
It’s amazing!
I am a friend of God!
I am a friend of God!
I am a friend of God!
He calls me friend!


If you think about it, it really is amazing. Imagine the God of the universe, the God who created the heavens and the earth, the God who is so utterly transcendent above all, looking at you and looking at me and saying the remarkable words, “You are my friend!” What other word could describe it other than “amazing”!

This is what God called Abraham according to James 2:21-23. In this passage, James is using the Patriarch Abraham as an example of true genuine faith. Faith is not just saying words or simply believing facts. James argues that we are saved by faith but that true faith always produces works. Abraham’s faith was seen in his works even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his son, Isaac, in obedience to the Lord. Because Abraham believed God and his faith was evidenced by his obedience, he was called a friend of God. This same title is used of Abraham in 2 Chronicles 20:7 as well as in Isaiah 41:8.

Wouldn’t you like to have that same title? Well, you can! In John 15, Jesus is speaking to His disciples and beginning in verse 12, He gives them (and us) the command to love one another. He goes on to say in verse 13 that no greater love has any man than this, that he lay down his life for a friend. Then in verse 14, He expands on the concept of the qualifications to being a friend of God.

You are my friends,” Jesus said, “If you do what I command you!”

What qualifies me to be called a friend of God? The answer is one word…obedience. Just as Abraham put his faith in God which was evidenced in his life of obedience to God, and was called a friend of God as a result, the same can be true of us. If we truly put our faith in God and our obedience to God subsequently gives evidence that our faith was genuine, we too are friends of God.

It’s amazing!
I am a friend of God!
I am a friend of God!
I am a friend of God!
He calls me friend!

No comments: