Monday, May 15, 2006

The Trophy Room: Place of Thanksgiving

The trophy room in the mansion of prayer is where we thank God for what He has done for us. So why do I call it the trophy room? Well, think about it. What is the purpose of a trophy? It is to remind us of a special event in our lives, right? I never attained many trophies growing up but one that I did get is a very special one to me even to this day. My mother and I won first place in a Mother/Son finger-painting contest when I was a small kid in the lowest level of the Cub Scouts. Now, every time I look at that trophy I am reminded of that special day when my mom and I had so much fun finger-painting in the living room of our house. And the older my mom gets, the more special that trophy becomes to me.

The same is true with this room of the mansion. This is where we take time to remember all the special things that God has done and respond to Him with thanksgiving. This is different than the throne room where we praise God for who He is. Here, we thank Him for what He has done. Psalm 100 shows us many ways we can give thanks to God.

We can thank God by shouting (v1). Our English texts add the word “joyfully,” but this word really is not in the original text. The word “shout” refers to a trumpet blast and has the idea of splitting the ears with sound. It is not referring to singing. It is literally telling us to shout words of joyful approval to God.

We can thank God by serving (v2). This word means to work as a slave. We are to serve the Lord and we are to do it with gladness (Colossians 3:17, 23-24).

We can thank God by singing (v2). This is to be done joyfully. In other words, it has nothing to do with talent, but everything to do with our heart. It is when we see God working in our lives that we want to sing thanksgiving to Him (Psalm 40:1-3).

We can thank God by studying (v3). Our worship of God should be an intelligent worship. The more we know about God the more thankful we become.

We can thank God by supplication (v4). In this verse, the “gates” and “courts” describe the temple. Today, prayer is our gates and courts (see Hebrews 4:16).

We can also thank God by submission (v4). We are to bless Him. In the Old Testament this meant “to kneel.” In the New Testament it means “to speak well of.” It is showing honor and homage to his name

What is the Key to this room? I believe it is to keep a spiritual journal. Take time to write down 2 or 3 times a week what God is doing in your life. Down the road as you take the time to read through those journals you are keeping, you will discover that you have forgotten so much of the goodness of God in your life and you will desire to spend more time in the trophy responding to the special moments you have had with your Lord!

No comments: