Tuesday, May 23, 2006

My marital facts

Today is May 23, 2006. Nineteen years ago today, May 23, 1987, Laura and I were married. What a great 19 years it has been. I wouldn’t trade our relationship for anything. So in honor of our anniversary, here are the historical facts of our relationship:

Where did you meet? At the Fort Flea Market in Lynchburg, VA while we were both students at Liberty University. Laura was a town student and I was an R.A. on campus. That day at the flea market she was looking for a toaster, a garbage can, and a picture frame for her boyfriend who lived in Texas. She ended up with me!

What was your first date? Later on that very day that we met at the flea market, Laura was on campus in the DeMoss building on a pay phone talking to her boyfriend in Texas. I waited a few feet away until she was off the phone and asked her if she wanted to go with me to the movie that night on campus. Her reply was, “I guess I don’t have anything better to do!” For the record, the movie was E.T.

Where and how did you get engaged? In the mall parking lot in Roanoke, VA. I was a dirty mess because I had a side job digging ditches. I left right from work to head out to the mall in Roanoke with Laura to get her ring size taken with the understanding that it would be several days before the ring would be done. Instead, the jeweler said if we could wait an hour, he would have it done. When we got back to the car, she obviously knew I had the ring, so in my best “ditch-digging” clothes, I proposed…she accepted.

Where were you married? At the Temple Baptist Church in Pueblo, CO, at the same altar where Laura’s parents dedicated her to the Lord as a baby.

Where did you spend your honeymoon? In Manitou Springs, Colorado.

Where were your kids born? Both Joy and Jonathan were born at the Good Samaritan hospital in Dayton, OH while I was serving as youth pastor at the Community Grace Brethren Church in West Milton, OH

Where is your favorite place to visit as a couple? Maine! Especially the quaint coastal town of Boothbay Harbor!

What are your favorite things to do as a couple? We love spending my day off together every Friday. It is by far the highlight of our week. Believe it or not…we love going grocery shopping together. Due to how we met, we also love going to flea markets. Back when we lived in Northern, IN, we loved going up to Lake Michigan. One of our most favorite things to do is to visit lighthouses.

Where all have you lived since you have been married? We have lived in West Milton, OH; Potsdam, OH; Mishawaka, IN; Elkhart, IN; and now in Lititz, PA.

No comments: