Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Shoot For Excellence (Part 1)

The final 4 blog entries this week are a transcript of the remarks that I gave at the Inaugural Induction Service of the Lititz Christian School Chapter of the National Honor Society – April 6, 2006.

Good evening. It is truly my privilege to be able to speak to you this evening.

When I was in High School, I attended a Christian School near Akron, Ohio. During those formative years of my life, the faculty member that had the greatest impact on my life was a devoted band director named Donald Bechtel. I was a trumpet player and had the privilege of being first chair my senior year as well as band president. Band was my life in High School. I loved it. As a result, Mr. Bechtel was a mentor and a hero to me. He taught us far more than just how to play our instruments. Mr. Bechtel taught us about life, especially as it related to being a Christian. There was one statement that he drilled into us. One statement that we heard from his lips over and over and over again. He would say emphatically, “Just because it’s Christian doesn’t mean you have to settle for being mediocre…shoot for excellence in everything you do!”

Tonight we honor you, our first inductees into the Lititz Christian School chapter of the National Honor society, for just that reason…because you have not settled for mediocrity. You have strived for excellence in many vital areas of your life and for that you are to be greatly commended. For that reason, it is our joy to honor you this evening.

The sad truth is that not many people take this approach in life. Even Christians struggle with this. It has been said, and rightly so, that most Christians live such a subnormal Christian life, that when someone lives a normal Christian life, it seems abnormal. Students, striving for excellence in all you do is to be the normal Christian life. Paul wrote in Colossians 3:17, “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.” I commend you for your attitude and efforts of excellence and I challenge you to maintain that same drive in everything you do the remainder of your life.

I am reminded of the old television commercial when I was younger that was made for a major airline. The setting was a locker room at halftime of the High School game. The coach is obviously bothered and is really giving it his boys. He is yelling and screaming and pounding the lockers. He is demanding to know why the team isn’t blocking and why they missed key plays. Most of all, he is furious that the other team’s defense keeps getting to his quarterback. The team looks dismayed and dazed as the coach rants and raves. Finally, one player hesitantly speaks up and asks, “But coach, aren’t we up by 24 points?” To that the coach points his finger and replies, “That’s exactly the attitude I am talking about. When you’re satisfied as a football player we are through as a football team.” The commercial went on to say that this airline, though rated #1 for on-time arrivals and customer service, isn’t satisfied. They still desire to do even better.

No comments: