Thursday, August 25, 2011

Working One Day a Week - THURSDAY


What does a pastor do all week other than preach on Sunday? In my three previous posts I covered Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. But what does a typical Thursday look like for a pastor? In general terms here is a typical look at my Thursdays as Lead Pastor of the Gaylord Evangelical Free Church.

As with most days, I get into the office by about 7:30 in the morning for some personal time followed by a morning of administrative work in the office. To be honest, on many Thursday mornings when the weather allows, I join another man from the church for 90 minutes of golfing. You see, I have never golfed before in my life until I moved to Gaylord (putt-putt excluded). This gentleman has taken me out for 90 minutes on many a Thursdays which has been a very welcome break from the office.

On the first Thursday of every month I meet with several area pastors for some sharing and prayer from 8-9 in the morning. And each week, my Thursday morning ends with my weekly one-on-one time with Jack Dutton, our Director of Counseling here at E-Free.

My entire Thursday afternoon is then reserved for more study. This is the afternoon that I do my more in-depth study on upcoming Sundays.

I should also add that on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, I also have 90 minutes each day in my schedule reserved for counseling and other appointments with people inside and outside of our church who have called asking to meet with me. One night a week I also lead one of our Small Groups here at E-Free that we call Life Groups.

I then spend the last hour of my Thursday wrapping up my work week as I take Fridays each week as my day off. In this closing hour I complete returning all emails and phone calls. I also send out two "end of the week" email updates - one to our church staff and one to our Elder Board and Church Chairman. I then straighten my desk and shut things down for the week.


No comments: